Why become a member? ×

Boss wireless WL-20 or WL-20L ?

Rusco

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at the Boss WL-20 but can’t work out what difference there will be between the ‘L’ and non ‘L’ versions or which one I should get.

I understand the technical blurb theory but really can’t make my mind up if it’s for real or just marketing BS.

Basses l will use it on are - Stingray (the new ‘special’ one), Fender Flea Jazz, Fender US Special P, Yamaha BB424X and Tanglewater Contemporary J

Does anyone have any experiences of the two or any advice?

Cheers.

The WL-20 simulates having a cable in the signal line, so is more likely to replicate the sound of a regular set-up, whereas the WL-20L doesn`t simulate this, so is a more true sound. I went for the WL-20 so that the sound would be pretty much the same and have been very pleased with it. It`s a doddle to set-up, takes 10 seconds of pairing the two units together before plugging them into the bass/amp. Charging is nice & quick too.

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The WL-20 simulates having a cable in the signal line, so is more likely to replicate the sound of a regular set-up, whereas the WL-20L doesn`t simulate this, so is a more true sound. I went for the WL-20 so that the sound would be pretty much the same and have been very pleased with it. It`s a doddle to set-up, takes 10 seconds of pairing the two units together before plugging them into the bass/amp. Charging is nice & quick too.

Did you consider the WL-50 when purchased the WL-20 ?

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense. Kinda what I thought so I'll think I'll go for the WL-20 in that case

Note to the mods: - apologies I saw this was moved and realised I originally posted it in the wrong place!

Edited by Rusco

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2019 at 18:39, Lozz196 said:

Just coming back to this as I’m about to order a WL-20.

Can I ask if you just plug it into your bass and leave it there ?.

It looks like it will be a bit a vulnerable sticking out of my Stingray jack so was thinking about using a small lead extension and holding the transmitter in a pouch on the strap..

Cheers

Yes it`s literally the last piece of equipment I set up, so it`s only ever in the bass while I`ve got the bass on. With playing a Precision and it being front mounted it doesn`t get in the way if I need to put the bass in a stand, though that doesn`t happen often. I can see why on a Stingray that might be a cause for concern.

4 hours ago, Rusco said:

Just coming back to this as I’m about to order a WL-20.

Can I ask if you just plug it into your bass and leave it there ?.

It looks like it will be a bit a vulnerable sticking out of my Stingray jack so was thinking about using a small lead extension and holding the transmitter in a pouch on the strap..

Cheers

I've got a line 6 G10, not recommended, got a weak point where the power supply plugs in, but it does come with a right angled adaptor which gets round the problem of the receiver sticking out and being vulnerable.

I do have a static pedal board, albeit very rudimentary, and so opted for the WL-50.  Good bit of kit, replacing my Line 6 G50.  Nowt wrong with the G50, worked brilliantly for a few years, never let me down except for when I didn't change the batteries... so the rechargeable transmitter battery is an elegant solution.  The board end of things is much more compact than the Line 6, too.

• 7 months later...
On 15/03/2019 at 18:40, Paul S said:

I do have a static pedal board, albeit very rudimentary, and so opted for the WL-50.  Good bit of kit, replacing my Line 6 G50.  Nowt wrong with the G50, worked brilliantly for a few years, never let me down except for when I didn't change the batteries... so the rechargeable transmitter battery is an elegant solution.  The board end of things is much more compact than the Line 6, too.

Interesting, I was about to buy a line 6 and then saw this Boss unit.  How do they compare, compactness aside??

Hi Kev

Well, I've had no issues with either so they compare favourably that way.  The Boss is certainly easier to use.  I occasionally brush my right hand against the bug on surface mounted input jack basses and sometimes catch against it on edge mounted jacks but that is offset by the simplicity of using it and not having the transmitter unit attached to the strap.  So far I don't regret changing to the Boss, anyway :)  

10 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Hi Kev

Well, I've had no issues with either so they compare favourably that way.  The Boss is certainly easier to use.  I occasionally brush my right hand against the bug on surface mounted input jack basses and sometimes catch against it on edge mounted jacks but that is offset by the simplicity of using it and not having the transmitter unit attached to the strap.  So far I don't regret changing to the Boss, anyway :)  

just got a WL20 to replace my Line 6 G10, yes it does stick out rather alarmingly so did the G10 but they supply a right angled converter which meant the unit lay across the body just above the volume controls on my P bass, I'll be using that with my WL20 as well

On 21/10/2019 at 22:30, pete.young said:

Somebody was using one of the Boss units at the SE Bass Bash and it seemed to work very well.

This Harley Benton unit seems to do the same thing and is less than half the price of the boss unit - anybody tried one?  https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_airborne_instrument.htm

That looks more like the Xvive 2 rather than the Boss. Be aware that that those type can only work on 4 channels, the Boss can scan 14 i believe. The downside to the Boss is you cant manually select it.

• 4 weeks later...

Any more on this?

I am looking to go back to wireless & don't really want to carry power packs, little cables etc, so these look excellent.

My only slight concern is one review, where the guy had had a ding dong with Boss. Apparently the rechargeable Li-on batteries will only last 2, possibly 3 years, regardless of use. They are not replaceable, so the whole system has a finite life span. Boss fairly obviously don't advertise this.

So, if I'm going to have to replace the entire system every couple of years, I need to know the system is good .

I am aware that the tech is likely to get better within 2 years, but that doesn't affect a system I would buy now.

That’s crazy if that’s true, it’s certainly a reason In principle why I wouldn’t consider that system.  Only one reason Boss made that decision...

I ended up investing more and grabbed the Shure pedal unit, which has performed admirably so far.  Still, it’s expensive and it does have a belt pack, albeit a solid metal type with a good clip.  The Boss looked to be a great option, does the Line 6 equivalent have the same restriction?

6 hours ago, Kev said:

That’s crazy if that’s true, it’s certainly a reason In principle why I wouldn’t consider that system.  Only one reason Boss made that decision...

I ended up investing more and grabbed the Shure pedal unit, which has performed admirably so far.  Still, it’s expensive and it does have a belt pack, albeit a solid metal type with a good clip.  The Boss looked to be a great option, does the Line 6 equivalent have the same restriction?

https://www.google.com/search?q=boss+wl20+review&rlz=1C1AVFC_enGB850GB850&oq=boss&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0l3j69i60l3.3927j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The 97 reviews linked on right hand side

Edited by karlfer