Why become a member? ×

Best quality PA for DJing to 100 people

tedmanzie

I occasionally do parties for 100ish people and I’ve always rented the same kit - either Mackie srm 450s + matching sub, or RCF 322a s with matching sub. These are the only option this particular rental place provides, the sound is fine (rcf are better I think) but I’ve never tried anything else. Does anyone have experience with these and others that could recommend if I could get a better setup please?  This is for DJing, not a band. I’m after quality and big sound - think club/dancefloor! :) I usually pay around £150 for hire.

Thanks

I’ve got an Electrovoice PA. it sounds incredible! I’ve plugged my iPod into it and gave it the beans and it sounded better than the disco pa that was in the venue we were playing in. Mp3’s And it was absolutely crystal clear! Thumping bass and super defined high end.  Just heavenly! 

All PAs at any given price are pretty comparable. None stands above any other for quality (at any particular price point, obviously). RCF, EV and Mackie are 3 of the big players in affordable PA. Things improve (obviously) as you spend more.  Why not try hiring a few different ones at your usual rate and see which you prefer? 

59 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

All PAs at any given price are pretty comparable. None stands above any other for quality (at any particular price point, obviously). RCF, EV and Mackie are 3 of the big players in affordable PA. Things improve (obviously) as you spend more.  Why not try hiring a few different ones at your usual rate and see which you prefer? 

I don't want to take the chance that it will be worse than what I normally get, I was hoping to piggy back on the wisdom of someone else's experimentation :)

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I’ve got an Electrovoice PA. it sounds incredible! I’ve plugged my iPod into it and gave it the beans and it sounded better than the disco pa that was in the venue we were playing in. Mp3’s And it was absolutely crystal clear! Thumping bass and super defined high end.  Just heavenly! 

What are the speakers?

Not sure if you are wanting to rent again or buy. You could use  2 x1x 15”s which would obviate the need for a sub. Look at:

Alto ts 315 budget end or go up to Yamaha DXR/DSR 15. Yamahas top of the range DZR is a fine choice too but moving up into the ether price wise.

if you want to stay with a sub: try 2x QSC K12.2 and their kw181 or their new cardioid 112 sub - QSC is great gear. In fact for a more compact system you could use 1x8” or 1x10”s with sub from QSC or Yamaha.

Of course, RCF, JBL etc have great stuff too. Lots of great choices - just stay away from the cheapies!

good luck 

1 hour ago, tedmanzie said:

I don't want to take the chance that it will be worse than what I normally get, I was hoping to piggy back on the wisdom of someone else's experimentation :)

Fair enough. I'd stick with the RCF system you're familiar with then. Pound for pound, it's as good as any. Others - EV, Yamaha, etc - at the same price will be comparable, but none will be greatly better/worse. Personally, I'd stick with smaller tops and subs, rather than using 15s. It's easier to put small top boxes on poles and subs on the floor enables some reinforcement of the low end courtesy of floor coupling.

Edited by Dan Dare