Why become a member? ×

Best Books For Musicians

HughRichardson

I downloaded Jeff Berlin's book "A Comprehensive Chord Tone System for Mastering Bass" with the intention of working my way through it. So far i've managed to download it.

2019 i think i'll make a start on reading it and practicing some of his ideas.

I've been playing since 1976 and did take lessons for about 1-2yrs or thereabouts. Got the basics and the guy giving the lessons said i know enough to go out and learn the rest on my own. I believed him and altho i've done OK with the little music theory i had i've always thought it wasn't enough for me hence the Berlin book.

I quite fancy the Jazz Theory book more so as a reference for when i want to push myself a bit and work my way thru over time. I don't want a book to become an every day occurence where i'm back at school kind of thing. Just when i've no new songs to learn and i'm bored i can just pick up the book and give myself that little extra kick in the pants.

Thanks for starting the thread and i'm curious as to how others react as its a very emotional topic on forums as to who does read music and who doesn't. 

For me i'll use whatever i can to get the job done. By ear, bass tabs or sheet music i don't care how i get there as long as i get there and the song is done correctly.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Not sure of musicians in general. But the best book for learning Bass is this. Written by Stephan Richter. THE most comprehensive book on how to play bass. 2 CDs. From basic to pro level.. With lots of techniques at the end of the book. Me. I got bored of the CDs. I just watched a lot of YT and listened to a huge amount of music. I wore out my tape player trying to work out how Randy Taylor play a certain bassline. Nothing compares to playing bass along to music you love. And the jam experience with live .musicians.  Imo 

15511995579732756309696898307512.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1