Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ric 4003S in Midnight Blue

Old Horse Murphy

Well, it's my first New NBD for a while and I have sold a lot of gear recently....

I've had one of these before and as much as I loved it, I couldn't gel with it for some reason. Still, I had a Ric-shaped itch that I knew I'd have to scratch again one day. I knew the 4003 wasn't right for me as I struggle with the top bezel edge digging in to my forearm. The 4003S is a totally different beast though and actually sits very comfortably for me.

I heard recently that Rickenbacker was not going to make any more instruments in Midnight Blue, which to me was a real shame as it's a colour I love. Anyway, after a few fruitless Google searches I managed to find one: brand new at a ridiculously low price. Given the likelihood of finding another one any time soon, I decided I'd take a chance and order it online.

Past experience has told me that online ordering is a bit like a reverse version of Russian Roulette, in that five chambers are loaded with not particularly well set up or well cared for instruments and I generally always try before I buy, especially with Rics and their, ummm, folibles. In this instance though I was lucky: perfect condition and finish (no QC issues here), low action, no tail lift, quiet electrics etc.

As always, the treble pickup was a lot louder than the neck one so after a bit of adjustment I got that lovely warm "fizzy" Ric sound that I love and that nothing else comes close to replicating. I put on a set of TI Flats and it's a beaut.

Haters gonna hate and all that, but to me this is the best Ric I've played and hopefully we'll have a good few years together. Maybe I should call her Taylor...

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 14

Lush. I think that blue colour goes nice with the reddish Ric' fretboard, which has shown well in the photographs. 😎

So are you saying it's comfortable because of the slightly rounded edges on the "S" body, vs the sharp edges of a bound body?

It is very lovely... give me a shout if you decide to sell it. Local collection not a problem! 😜

Edited by Ricky 4000
not allowed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr zed said:

I have the same bass and it's superb. How did you balance the pickups? Did you lower the bridge pickup or raise the height of the neck pickup or a combination of both? I need to do the same with mine.

It was a mixture of both. The neck pickup wouldn't adjust too much but the treble one adjusted nicely. I'm very pleased as I've managed to get the sound I always hear when I think of a Ric :)

Hiho,Lovely bass,I am biased.

How to set pick up height,this is my way.Set the neck pick up height first,if it,s to high they start sounding weird you will notice it,it,s like clicks n distortion just back it off a bit then set the bridge height to the same volume by flicking over the selector switch till they sound the same volume-that,s it works for me.

Enjoy your lovely Rick,ps they are a bit picky about what you play them through,Orange does it for me.

I found a link here - 

http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/blog/2019/02/rickenbacker-are-discontinuing-midnight-blue/

Real shame. I used to have a 4003 in MID, and recently picked up a 4003S identical to the OP's!

I've owned a good few 4003/4001/4004 basses, but the S model is indeed a gorgeous instrument. Mine is really light as well, so that's a bonus.

It's currently with my regular Luthier having a going-over. Seeing the pictures, I miss it already!

13 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I noticed a 4004 Laredo in midnight blue just went through fleabay for under £1000. (£7. less than £1000.)...

Yep - I was chatting with the new purchaser (they just outbid me); it was from the same seller I bought my midnight blue Laredo from too!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I noticed a 4004 Laredo in midnight blue just went through fleabay for under £1000. (£7. less than £1000.)...

Not my favourite Rick (hated my briefly owned 4004Cii) but that is a crazy price.  Don't think I'll be selling my 4003 anytime soon if that's the current situation. 

29 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Not my favourite Rick (hated my briefly owned 4004Cii) but that is a crazy price.  Don't think I'll be selling my 4003 anytime soon if that's the current situation. 

Ric prices are very variable at the moment; I bought a jetglo 2010 4003 for £1k last month.

Aaaargh. Stop talking about this!!! I want one!!!!

*Can't have one, can't afford.

*But i wants it. So pretty

*You got too many already

*But its so nice.......

* So Bloooooooo....

*You got to sell some stuff then

*Yes! Yes! I do that. I sell fings, then I get one......

(Disappears upstairs with camera)

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Aaaargh. Stop talking about this!!! I want one!!!!

*Can't have one, can't afford.

*But i wants it. So pretty

*You got too many already

*But its so nice.......

* So Bloooooooo....

*You got to sell some stuff then

*Yes! Yes! I do that. I sell fings, then I get one......

(Disappears upstairs with camera)

Here y'go...

6hmEsC1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2