Why become a member? ×

mania bass question

addictedtobass

Hi all.

Bit of a head scratcher here. I fell in love with a Mania bass (vtb-4bs) that was on ebay and not having owned an active before , i had to have it. The guitar is beautiful , the issue is the knobs, 4 to be precise ! now you would assume that it would be 2 volume and 2 tone , one for each pup ? but i can turn the bridge pup up and that works fine , but when it comes to the neck pup you cannot turn that up on its own , the bridge pup has to be turned up also . is this normal ? does anybody own or owned one of these basses that could give me a pointer ? there is precious little info on this make of basses on the interweb thingy. all help would be appreciated.

cheers

bob 

what i can tell is that they were made in japan (eikosha music) they stopped production in circa 2006 and they won Guitar and bass magazine sub £500 bass in 2005. there are many on here that will probably know more about them. all i can say is that i took a punt on it and its perfect in every way .balance , neck , looks ,playability and the range of tones is just staggering. i only own 7 basses , but always end up thudding away on this one over the others. and as mentioned by me before , i can actually go straight for the tone i am looking for now without blindly twiddling thanks to you guys

I used to own one and from memory it was volume, pan, bass and treble. Have you got a picture of yours, it might be my old one as they seem pretty rare? 

They were some bass guitar magazines 'Bass of the year under £500', or something like that at the time. They were really singing their praises. Mine was great but ultimately I don't like fancy woods so sold it on. 

From memory the only damage on mine at the time was a reasonable chip out of the lacquer on one of the horns, I think, it also had a fairly distinguishing dark 'knot' mark somewhere on the front that stood out. I wonder 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...