Why become a member? ×

Abba bass lines

LITTLEWING

I was the early-teen first in line to buy new Abba albums as they came out back in the 70s, and have always loved the basslines. Each tune was a mini-musical in itself - you can follow the progression in expertise through the albums.

The "Abba: Live" album, depending which mix you get of it (the original cassette seems to be the best to my lugs), has the bass much more upfront and obvious. Lovely.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2019 at 13:01, chris_b said:

These are great lines. I believe Rutger Gunnarsson started as a classically trained guitarist. Great bass playing is easier to achieve when underpinned by impeccable musical knowledge and technique.

He was heavily into Swedish folk also. He originally auditioned for benny as a singer in a band called the hootenanny singers. Bass hero of mine 

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

The bass I built is intended as a tribute to him, he is to my mind exactly what a bass player should be

Is that the white Jazz in the Build Diaries? I can see how that could be a bit Abba in the right circumstances! 😁

Rutger Gunnerson and Dee Murray always strike me as being struck from the same mould- always fluid, organic basslines which sound as though they just pressed record and let rip. Completely natural and with no trace of sterility or over adherence to the written part. (If there was one)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

Is that the white Jazz in the Build Diaries? I can see how that could be a bit Abba in the right circumstances! 😁

Rutger Gunnerson and Dee Murray always strike me as being struck from the same mould- always fluid, organic basslines which sound as though they just pressed record and let rip. Completely natural and with no trace of sterility or over adherence to the written part. (If there was one)

That’s the one. If you read the first post you’ll see I was inspired by watching the man himself playing dancing queen shortly before his death 

On 26/02/2019 at 21:03, bigthumb said:

'One of us' is probably my favourite play along ABBA songs followed by Gimme (x3). Bloody good stuff IMO.  

Yup, 'One of us' is one of my favourite ever basslines, great tone and sublime playing IMO ;)

• 3 years later...
On 23/02/2019 at 14:51, YouMa said:

Most of the bass lines are doubled with synth. I had a good book on them about recording at polar studios. Benny was a synth wizard.

Do you happen to remember the title of this! My boyfriend would be very interested to read it :)

Bit off topic so sorry in advance but I found midnight train to Georgia to have a similar bass line to that the

op describes. 
i will have a look at the abba stuff and then probably have to issue a retraction to say that the above track is nothing like it lol. 

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2019 at 14:51, YouMa said:

Most of the bass lines are doubled with synth. I had a good book on them about recording at polar studios. Benny was a synth wizard.

I think this was probably on later tracks, 1978/9 onwards. Super Trouper (the chorus), Does Your Mother Know and Gimme, Gimme, Gimme spring to mind. 

I always hated ABBA as a young "serious" punk/post punk geezer 😁

However, I later ended up playing loads of ABBA covers out in the real world.. I'd had a fair dose of it tho and haven't listened to any since then.

.. having glanced thru this must have another listen with fresh ears. I've doubtless still got a whole bunch of the cds from when I needed to suss out "how they go" 

• Like 1