Why become a member? ×

Ska - Advice Needed

CyberBass

I’ve always played in originals bands, primarily punk or Electro Rock. Mainly either pick or finger style. A good friend of mine who writes and produces ska music has written two albums and has a lot of requests to play live, so he’s putting a live band together. He is insisting I play bass for him. Although I like ska music, I’ve never played it personally. So my first question is, what tips and references would you recommend so I can get into the groove in order to play.

my current set up is the new orange terror bass head and 2 x obc 112’s and my main bass being a fender mustang jmj bass. Any recommendations on settings to get a good tone for the music style.

thanks in advance for your advice

• Like 1

Classic ska/reggae is all about the bass. Your gear should be ideal for the job; roll off the old tone pot a bit and get a big phat warm tone. Having said that, there really aren't any hard and fast rules. Just do what works best for your mate's songs. I tend to keep a bit of snap in my tone for some songs as I like the way it cuts through (Nite Klub, for example).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Specials fused old school ska lines with disco fills, if your mate wants Two Tone style I'd listen to their first album. Otherwise try some classic ska - the Trojan Ska box set would be a good place to start. 

If you're after the new more thrashy ska stuff I'm not sure what to recommend other than play Specials stuff faster! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pick one song ( how about Pressure Drop, Toots and the Maytals)  and play it over and over , harmonically it's simple , just major triads but the magic is in the articulation , really try to mimic the note length and rythmic placement feeling how the bass relates to the drums and guitar

Tone down volume up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spencer.b said:

Pick one song ( how about Pressure Drop, Toots and the Maytals)  and play it over and over , harmonically it's simple , just major triads but the magic is in the articulation , really try to mimic the note length and rythmic placement feeling how the bass relates to the drums and guitar

Tone down volume up

Very very sound advice 

• Thanks 1

;Pressure Drop' would be a great start - just learn one or two numbers properly

and get the feel of how it's done .......... musically it's simple enough but different.

If you can get hold of a copy, Club Ska 67 is a good value album to practice with -

Whine and Grine Club Ska 67 is  the same + one track extra - Amazon have one for £3.25

😎

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spencer.b said:

Tone down volume up

Absolutely this. 

I know it sounds clichéd but it really is about the feel. You can play all the right notes in the right order at the right time, but unless you're really feeling it it doesn't sound authentic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to sound authentic it never hurts to spend a lot of time listening to authentic recordings, whatever the genre in question - the main question I would be asking in this instance is what sort of sound is he trying to create,

or this

or something in between from Brit two tone era

Different folks have somewhat different terms of reference depending usually on how old they are...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest subaudio

I'd recommend learning a few ska songs.

The lines are surprisingly clever, lots of Nuance and clever passing notes.

It's lots of chord arpeggios and mirroring the horns/vocal melody.

Learn 10 Ska hits and you'll know exactly.