Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand Pickups !

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hello everybody

Aside being a Delano retailer, I have the Opportunity to become a Norstrand Dealer too. But dealing with USA is more heavy duty with paperwork.

BUT, I constated that most dealers have abusive prices. After some maths, I could offer a really neat price on Nordstrand pickups, probably cheapest prices in Europe from far.

I like these pickups , that's why I want to work with them, and I found it's not really well represented in Europe or badly distribued.

So my question is, what is yout thoughts about Nordstrand ? Do you like them? Do you plan to try them? Who is interested in them?

Because my Delano retailing is starting really softly, that's okay but I prefer to make an inquiry first…. I can't give you precise prices because of customs fees, but you can count on a 20% discount compared to the "usual" distributors.

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I really like Nordstrands. I've got a set of Big J Blades at the moment.

I ordered from Best Bass Gear in the USA as they were cheaper than going direct to Carey, and cheaper than UK prices even with the Vat on the way in.

I've got Big Blades. What a sound!

I understand why you order in USA directly. As example, I might be able to provide a set of Big Split 4 for just around £200, I Don't know if it's better than the way you do it. No precise prices at the moment, that's quick maths.

First came across Nordstrand about 5/6yrs ago. I needed a replacement pickup for my stingray, saw that they did quite a few ! Ended up going for the BigMan pup, (it’s double thick extreme high output). I was that impressed with it I ended up buying a second one for my other stingray. I think it was Bass Direct who I brought it through. 

Definitely impressed with there stuff (J blades, might have to try them soon) and Carey is an approachable guy so it’s all good ! 

Guest Marcoelwray

Thanks for all your feedbacks. I MIGHT be able to (just as an information) provide the big split 4 for 205£ / set.

Free shipping in Europe of course.

Is someone aware of a better price ? I checked most dealers, I didn't see cheaper, but I probably missed some...

Guest Marcoelwray
17 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I'm a fan of their single coils. The Fat Stack is amazing on fretless basses and the DC is just terrific, even if these two are humbuckers. So add me to the list of potential buyers, Marco. 😉

I will my friend, I will… ;) 

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have two Ibanez six string basses, one has Barts and the other Nords - the Nords are definitely better when playing with a band.

In general yes, for the standard barts, but the barts in the 5005 are a completely different type, and although I bought some nords to replace them, I never did because they are in a completely different league to the barts in the normal range.

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

In general yes, for the standard barts, but the barts in the 5005 are a completely different type, and although I bought some nords to replace them, I never did because they are in a completely different league to the barts in the normal range.

My SR 506 (standard range) and SR1006 both had Barts, but the 1006 had an East pre-amp which made it difficult to tell whether the pick ups were similar in sound. The  Nord equipped SR1206 sounds great even with the standard pre-amp (the East uni-pre wouldn't fit in the cavity without serious surgery to the bass, unfortunately).

If I could get a pair of Nords similar to those in my 1206 and retro fit them to the 506 (my back-up bass) for a reasonable price,  I would be a happy man. 

Guest Marcoelwray
9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

My SR 506 (standard range) and SR1006 both had Barts, but the 1006 had an East pre-amp which made it difficult to tell whether the pick ups were similar in sound. The  Nord equipped SR1206 sounds great even with the standard pre-amp (the East uni-pre wouldn't fit in the cavity without serious surgery to the bass, unfortunately).

If I could get a pair of Nords similar to those in my 1206 and retro fit them to the 506 (my back-up bass) for a reasonable price,  I would be a happy man. 

Could you give me the exact model you need (string spacing too), I can give you an idea of price :) just to compare

3 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Could you give me the exact model you need (string spacing too), I can give you an idea of price :) just to compare

I'll have to look into that, it maybe that whatever Nords Ibanez fit to the SR1206 would fit the SR506 - the string spacing is the same. I want to avoid throwing too much money at the 506, though, it was a cheap bass (£550) and I keep it only to use if my main 6 string develops a problem.

Guest Marcoelwray
22 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'll have to look into that, it maybe that whatever Nords Ibanez fit to the SR1206 would fit the SR506 - the string spacing is the same. I want to avoid throwing too much money at the 506, though, it was a cheap bass (£550) and I keep it only to use if my main 6 string develops a problem.

So I guess it's a P2 format, 16.5mm ss, but there's Big Split, Big single, Fat Stack, Zen Blades, Big Blades ….

Guest Marcoelwray

@FinnDave In Ibanez case, I guess the more appropriate choice is either a Big Split or a Fat Stack. They are equally priced and looks nice. 

Maybe not my lowest price, because of raw customs taxes maths, but I'd say I could sell a set for 289€ so £250 the set.

That includes postage of course, but also the 16.5mm string spacing (as a 20$ custom option), in the P4 format (not P2). You also can choose a no-holes cover for free.

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/6-string-soapbar-bass-pickups/products/big-split-6?variant=41232913940

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/6-string-soapbar-bass-pickups/products/fat-stack-6?variant=41233411092

7 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

@FinnDave In Ibanez case, I guess the more appropriate choice is either a Big Split or a Fat Stack. They are equally priced and looks nice. 

Maybe not my lowest price, because of raw customs taxes maths, but I'd say I could sell a set for 289€ so £250 the set.

That includes postage of course, but also the 16.5mm string spacing (as a 20$ custom option), in the P4 format (not P2). You also can choose a no-holes cover for free.

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/6-string-soapbar-bass-pickups/products/big-split-6?variant=41232913940

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/6-string-soapbar-bass-pickups/products/fat-stack-6?variant=41233411092

Thanks, but I'll leave it for now, paying 50% of the purchase price of the bass for new pick ups for a back up that rarely leaves its case is not viable for me at the moment. Good info for future reference, though, should it be needed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2019 at 17:59, FinnDave said:

When I read your previous post I wanted to ask you whether you'd replace the 506's pickups with Nordstrands.  I am assuming that the 506 has Bartolini Mk1s like my 605 of course. 

Don't get me wrong.  I have no complaint with my own.  I don't gig though.  I have read a few things that suggest I should check out the Nordstrands however.

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

When I read your previous post I wanted to ask you whether you'd replace the 506's pickups with Nordstrands.  I am assuming that the 506 has Bartolini Mk1s like my 605 of course. 

Don't get me wrong.  I have no complaint with my own.  I don't gig though.  I have read a few things that suggest I should check out the Nordstrands however.

Yes, the 506 has Bartolini Mk 1s in it, sounds OK, but lack the definition and punch of the Nords. I don't think it's worth spending serious money on replacement pick ups for my back-up bass, though. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, the 506 has Bartolini Mk 1s in it, sounds OK, but lack the definition and punch of the Nords. I don't think it's worth spending serious money on replacement pick ups for my back-up bass, though. 

Thanks.

Everyone says that about the Nordies.  My Ibby was a good buy at about half the retail price pre-owned and in very good nick.  For the same reasons as yourself, I am not in the market for new ones at this time but who knows... I may yet become one of Marco's customers.

Guest Marcoelwray
11 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@Marcoelwray how much would the 51P5S cost? Thats the humcancelling version of the '51 Precision style pickup in 5 string size.

Hello, it'll be around 125£ (shipping free for BC users). I do not have exact quote because of customs fees but can't be more than 130.