Why become a member? ×

Golden Age of Stingrays?

Billy Apple

For those with a bigger budget I would say look for the Pre Ernie Ball stingrays, very desireable and apparently have a sound of their own.

For me the best years are the late 80s 90s rays with the bigger bridge plate, spoke wheel truss rod, contoured bodies and a lot of them also had figured necks as standard. 

Saying that even the early 2000s rays had some lovely figuring on the necks, just before they all seemed to get the really bland, pale, maple necks and the figuring only came on more expensive models.

I've only owned two a 2001 and an 86, the Pre EB 86 was by far the best, nicer sounding preamp (for me) and the neck was well played in and very fast and smooth.  Shame I just don't really get on with Stingrays enough to keep hold of them for some odd reason!

40 minutes ago, NJE said:

For me the best years are the late 80s 90s rays with the bigger bridge plate, spoke wheel truss rod, contoured bodies and a lot of them also had figured necks as standard. 

I had a '96 which was infinitely better than the  2006 I had. 

Bigger bridge with mutes and figured necks are the things to look out for.

In the EB era, the early to mid 90s rays are considered to be good. I've got a 94 2eq and it's the business, though a bit heavy. The latest rays with the roasted necks and neo pickups look like pretty handy. But MM have been pretty consistent and I can't imagine there's any dud years... 

Mid '80s to early '90s.

Gloss necks, mute bridges, chrome battery covers, all on a contoured body. The 6-bolt necks with the capstan wheel may be more practical but I'm particularly fond of the 4-bolts (on the SR4) with the adjuster at the headstock. Many necks had amazing figuring, too. Very playable, slim profiles.

Great colours like Blueburst, Trans Red or Sunburst plus my all-time favourite EBMM finish - Peach.

• Like 1

So to summarise - the golden era was somewhere between 1976 and today 🤔

I think that as with most basses it's the luck of the draw. Someone could pick up a bass and it it becomes the best bass they've ever played yet could be a complete POS to someone else.

I love Stingrays but the only Musicman basses I've ever got on with have been SR5s from the ceramic pickup era and my current Sterling

• Like 1

The current lot seem to be very well regarded. That said, I've played many EBMM basses over the years and I'd he loathe to buy one without playing first. In all eras and variants of Stingrays, I found good ones and bad ones. You might pick up a 'golden age' 'Ray and find it has awful dead spots and a weak G string output. 

So I suppose the golden era of Stingray for me is from 1997 onwards, when Modulus refined the concept into the Flea bass. 

14 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

The current lot seem to be very well regarded. That said, I've played many EBMM basses over the years and I'd he loathe to buy one without playing first. In all eras and variants of Stingrays, I found good ones and bad ones. You might pick up a 'golden age' 'Ray and find it has awful dead spots and a weak G string output. 

So I suppose the golden era of Stingray for me is from 1997 onwards, when Modulus refined the concept into the Flea bass. 

But the 1997 Flea’s didn’t even have a truss rod! :)

But seriously, I’ve owned both and the Modulus Flea is an exceptional bass, but quite different to a Ray IMHO. Though I totally get why some folk would prefer it, they are that good for those who get on with them, and like composite necks. 

I've played and owned MMs from all eras, can't really say that any era stood out as best.  The pre-EBs were differently voiced in my estimation, as I started off on a 1990 one I just found the Pre EB different, not better though others opinions vary.  One of the best I played was a 30th anniversary, lovely smooth sound and impeccable build quality.  My current Starry Night PDN 2016 comes pretty close though and I prefer the ebony board.

So in brief, my opinion, as voiced by some above, is that there isn't a golden era but there are great, good and mediocre examples from each decade.

Like others have said it’s down to luck of the draw. Some play better than others and even that is just due to personal opinion. 

The Stingray is a recipe that’s got its own magic, it’s just been carfully refined over the years for better or worse. Again that’s just down to personal opinion is it better or worse than before ?

Example three bolt neck vs 4 bolt. Then 6 bolt etc 

Edited by danny-79