Why become a member? ×

Heavily Reliced basses

Bobthedog

I am looking to buy a new bass at the weekend and whilst I have always disliked reliced basses, I have fallen for a Sandberg "Masterpiece" VS5. This is the one I hope to try (I will also be trying a Dingwall AB1 5/3 and a Roscoe Century Standard Plus V - either as "matching" playability with my current small collection):

F2.jpg

The issue is that this is identically the same wood, electronics etc as the non reliced version just £ 1,000 more 😱.  

I know nothing of Sandberg basses; are they typically good value for money? Would I get any of that extra back if I was to sell it some time in the future?

What say you?

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1

Honestly, I doubt you would get any significant difference in price if you were to resell at a later time.

Some like relic finishes and others don’t. I am a fan of them but I wouldn’t pay more for one if there was an identical one for sale at a lower price that hadn’t received a relic finish. Someone else, maybe they would. 

I do like  that Sandberg above. Their finishes are more natural looking than many others.  

• Like 2

If it is identical other than the finish but £1000 more, it is up to you whether that finish is worth that much. Obviously you will never get that back, but that is the way of selling things.

Mr Stonjek (mr sandberg) did a talk on finishing at one of the LBGS and he covered the relics. There is one guy who does them and he puts quite a bit of effort into it, ensuring that the relicing makes sense for the instrument. Very interesting talk, so it is not just a clone like the fender flea basses or something

Oh here:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The relics take a lot of time to get right, and I think Sandberg make the most realistic ones on the market.

If you mean the production market, then possibly. I think Bravewood relicing is more realistic, but they are handmade master built instruments rather than production.

I do like that they do relic five strings - those are rare!

Well I tried it and sadly was not blown away. in the flesh the relicing did not have the hitting power of the photos, but more importantly I could not get on with the B string compared to my 35" Roscoe and 37" Dingwall. Still struggled with the cost of the relicing too, although I now understand it is a four day process, not a couple of hours as thought.

Why?!

I'm afraid I just don't get it, and I never will. Why anyone wound pay a grand extra for a f#cked up looking bass is absolutely beyond my comprehension. 

I'd rather save a grand and f#ck it up myself through years of hard work and gigging. Maybe then I could sell it for a grand more than I paid for it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Why?!

I'm afraid I just don't get it, and I never will. Why anyone wound pay a grand extra for a f#cked up looking bass is absolutely beyond my comprehension. 

I'd rather save a grand and f#ck it up myself through years of hard work and gigging. Maybe then I could sell it for a grand more than I paid for it? 

That’s why the offer shiny ones too innit?

Im not getting into the relic being “pointless” debate as I’ve done it before and it always get shirty as nobody wants to be “wrong”.

I have a CS relic jazz, a 35 year old actual relic, a 32 year old “closet classic” with a few little marks. And 4 pristine basses. All picked because they’re ace. I have no predilection for either. But I’m certainly not offended by them.

I don’t get the relics some companies do on modern looking basses. But vintage reissue Fender and Gibsons (VOS/Aged) I totally get why they do it. 

• Like 3

Again this relic vs non relic debate.

With a masterpiece you also get thermal and vibration treatment to the wood to help with the settling in process.

This as well as expertise in ageing the body, neck etc costs.

Other companies like Yamaha do similar treatments.

Having played all the range from non TI masterpiece ageing - I think there is difference - only you can decide if it’s important enough

Here’s a funny thing, the last 4 or 5 basses I’ve sold have been collected. The last bass I bought was very kindly dropped off.

Every single person (except one who I’ve talked to for years) looked at my white jazz and said “blimey, look at that lovely old thing” or “ooh, how old is that?!”

I chuckle and say “2007/8” but it does look very old.

it just looks like an old bass - if it was original 1964 it’d be a £10,000+ bass.

it’s insured for much less than that. And it had a leave of absence for a while and I had a couple of other custom shop shiny basses, but this one has something special, so the relic bit is just a coincidence for me - if it was shiny, it would still be the best jazz I’ve owned/played - and after 13 years in the trade; I’ve played 1000’s. This one is mine, there are many like it...

On 21/02/2019 at 21:27, fretmeister said:

Sandberg make stunning basses. I’m a big fan.

The relics take a lot of time to get right, and I think Sandberg make the most realistic ones on the market. But at the end of the day it’s just another finish option. Some will pay the extra and some won’t.

I’d say Sandberg are about the best at the Relic business, it says a lot that Fodera employed Sandberg to Relic the Limited Edition replicas Of Victor Wootens Bass.

Also on this topic of Relic, remember buying a brand new shiny bass is a hard thing, the first “ding” in that new pristine instrument is always gutting. 

- Which is another good reason to buy a pre relic’d bass. 

A. Because relic’s look badass 

B. To the crowd you’ve played that bass more than eaten hot dinners

C. Because even if you ding it or dent it, it will all blend in, you will be no sadder than when you bought it, because the dents won’t look out of place unlike on a non Relic version.

Edited by Bassislife16
  • Like 2

The thread wasn’t about the great ‘relic’ debate and everyone has a preference and opinion. Simple as that  who cares if you do or don’t like them. I don’t like tomato’s but I don’t make a fuss because you might....

@Bobthedog I’m glad you got to try them. For the record I love my Limelight heavy relic, and if it had a shiny new finish I wouldn’t have even considered buying it. 

Did you end up buy anything? 

• Like 1

In a recent Andertons video they bought some Custom shop tele`s, most were reliced, some were not. Guess what one are still sitting on the shop floor whilst the others flew out the door? Yep the non relics are still sitting there much to Mr Andertons displeasure.

The Sandbergs are great basses and a reliced one is on my list of wants when the cash is available. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

In a recent Andertons video they bought some Custom shop tele`s, most were reliced, some were not. Guess what one are still sitting on the shop floor whilst the others flew out the door? Yep the non relics are still sitting there much to Mr Andertons displeasure.

Strip off the hardware and necks, throw them down Guildford High Street, reassemble, job done. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ixlramp

'Carefully' relicing is even more ridiculous, as the intent is the appearence of lack of care, might a well relic it yourself and save paying the extra labour costs.

Interesting finishes created by abrasion are fine, but 'old guitar appearence' relicing is faking age in the attempt to fake mojo. Fakeness is bad and says something about the owner.

However there's clearly no shortage of guitarists and bassists with bad taste, or immature ones, so what is wanted is provided.