Why become a member? ×

Favourite P bass pickups

la bam

I'd love a warm vintage sound if I'm honest. The kind of classic p bass, flats, svt sound.

I like the sound of the wilkinson on my vintage icon, but there's so many different opinions which they are - wp0b / wpb etc, I'm not sure what they actually are.

Edited by la bam

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Evening all.

What are people's favourite p bass pickups?

I'm looking at making a bitsa bass, and just wondered what options are out there?

Price not really a matter.

Also, would i then have to add in specific pots?

I bought a “blues tribute” on eBay for not much and it’s fabulous. Fat Woody sound and cheap as chips 

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I'd love a warm vintage sound if I'm honest. The kind of classic p bass, flats, svt sound.

I like the sound of the wilkinson on my vintage icon, but there's so many different opinions which they are - wp0b / wpb etc, I'm not sure what they actually are.

Wilkinson's are very decent vintage sounding pickups. The different model / prefixes refer to if they are ceramic or alnico. The cheaper pickups will be ceramic and the slightly more expensive will be alnico. The alnico are the better pickups and do sound better (warmer and more vintage sounding) than ceramics.

Lozz196 is correct, Fender custom shop 62 or the 62 ri's which are essentially the same pickups will be perfect for what you want.

13 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Wilkinson's are very decent vintage sounding pickups. The different model / prefixes refer to if they are ceramic or alnico. The cheaper pickups will be ceramic and the slightly more expensive will be alnico. The alnico are the better pickups and do sound better (warmer and more vintage sounding) than ceramics.

Cheers all.

The weird thing is ..... the 2 vintages I have are a basic v4blk and a icon.

Now, out of the 2, the icon is supposed to be the flagship bass I think.

The pickups in the blk are great, very strong and punchy, and record superbly. The pickups in the icon are lovely and warm and have a lot of range and more soul to them, as opposed to the more clinical blk. Yet, it looks like the pickups in the icon are only £15 and are the cheaper ones?

Confusion comes when you look on the internet for which one is which. I've email jhs but no reply.

The fender 62 look great to be honest, probably more of the sound im looking for opposed to the quarter pounders.

Pretty sure the pickups in the Icon are alnico, I've heard the newer Vintage v4 reissue's (one with painted headstock) have different pickups than the others. 

However, you have one bass which records well and the other I'm guessing sounds good playing live, so I reckon you have GAS for something new or different. You probably don't want to hear this, but you already have a solid setup. But GAS affects us all. Damn you GAS.

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

There’s a set of CS 62s on evilbay at moment, £75. Says ex The Beat but imo price isn’t inflated due to that.

They look more like Fenders cheaper ( but great ) " original " 62 pickups! --the Custom shop 62's don't have a large chamfer on the poles!

+1 for EMG Geezer Butlers. I had a Squire Chris Aiken P bass which I bought as a project off Facebook. The previous owner had made his own loom and wasn’t the best with a soldering iron, so the tone pot didn’t work and it wasn’t great. Whacked in the GZR set as it came with a new solderless loom. Installation was easy, pots feel good and the sound... a fantastic, rich and slightly dark sounding with a big vintage nod. A fantastic upgrade with a very noticeable improvement in sound. Very pleased. 

I've tried the Custom Shop 62s and been rather disappointed with them. Perfectly good pickup and better than the Seymour Duncan quarter pounders but they didn't do it for me.  What did do it for me was a set of Wizard Thumpers.  Sadly they're not made any more in their original form but Hot Rod have taken over making them, although I don't know how close they come to the originals. 

https://www.hot-rodpickups.com/pb-thumper-precision-bass-pickup-574-p.asp

I put Bartolini into my P bass. That was in the late 80's so I don't remember which ones, but they improved the sound 1000%. My current passive PJ5 has SD's in. An Amazingly good sound.

PS

I've seen reviews that claim Bill Lawrence pickups are the best. He was an innovative designer and designed pickups for Fender before going out on his own.

Edited by chris_b

When Andy retired, Wizard was taken over by Hot Rod pickups https://www.hot-rodpickups.com/bass-pickups-33-c.asp and they still make the Thumper. 

I have a Nordstrand in my Japanese Precision and I'm very pleased with it. The weird thing about these threads is that virtually everyone is happy with the choice they've made - you almost never see postings that say "I fitted <x> in my bass and it sucked watermelons through elephants". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete.young said:

When Andy retired, Wizard was taken over by Hot Rod pickups https://www.hot-rodpickups.com/bass-pickups-33-c.asp and they still make the Thumper. 

I have a Nordstrand in my Japanese Precision and I'm very pleased with it. The weird thing about these threads is that virtually everyone is happy with the choice they've made - you almost never see postings that say "I fitted <x> in my bass and it sucked watermelons through elephants". 

I guess the the thread title might determine the sorts replies that are given.  Maybe if there was a "Precision Pickups that suck" thread......

16 minutes ago, pete.young said:

The weird thing about these threads is that virtually everyone is happy with the choice they've made - you almost never see postings that say "I fitted <x> in my bass and it sucked watermelons through elephants". 

I prefer to dwell on the success stories, but if you want to hear about the stuff that didn't work out . . here goes. . . when I removed my average sounding, lifeless Fender pickups I put in a set of MEC's (from Warwick via the Bass Centre). IMO they were OK but nothing special. I then put in some SD's (can remember which ones). While it was getting better, the sound wasn't quite what I wanted, so I went over to Chandlers who put in a Bartolini P bass pickup. . . .  and that was it! A great full, fat tone. Tons of low mid punch.