Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan!

songofthewind

1 hour ago, PTB said:

i had been looking forward to this for months and it was a great show. Unfortunately I was sat so far back, I couldn’t see what bass Freddie was playing but it was a great bass sound and an excellent mix. Kick drum was right where it should be and vocal & brass harmonies all shone through. 

For the encore of Reelin’ in the Years, Elliot Randall came out to play his signature intro & solo, 34 years since they recorded it per Donald. A perfect ending to a special gig!

From what I could see I think it was some sort of Jazz. It sounded really angry at times, lovely tone. 

They were rehearsing in the studio next door to us 2 weeks ago before playing Glasgow mid week. Studio corridors were littered with large flight cases. Guitar techs setting up guitars in the rest areas of the corridors. That was worth watching. One flightcase had several guitars and only one bass. The case next to it when opened was a work area with a PC screen attached to the underside of the lid so when opened he had tuning and set up software on it when we walked past. He was in process of restringing a guitar. 

Was a bit odd having all these American accents in the area. Not used to hearing that in the studios.

Dave

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Wowser! Finally, somebody actually heard the bass, if ya really don’t know who Freddie is, check YouTube for Patrice Rushen’s Forget Me Nots. The bass part is absolutely fabulous.

Yes I do know who he is. I was just joshing chief. My year was made when I realised who it was. What a treat!

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Wasn't at the gig myself but my friends were at the Glasgow gig and said Stevie Winwood was really good too.

Cheers Dave - how bizarre, as I'm writing this someone on R2 Pop Master quiz is talking about the gig last night!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My friends were also fans of Stevie Winwood. Just for you Pete :D

Thanks for that Dave. Looks like he's still using the same band I last saw him with, think they're mainly Brazilian? No bassist either, but Stevie is working those pedals on the Hammond!! Love his voice, and he's also a very underrated guitarist too as well as an ace on the Hammond - check out the concerts he did with Clapton a few years ago at Madison SG in New York.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ianrendall said:

From what I could see I think it was some sort of Jazz. It sounded really angry at times, lovely tone. 

I don't know what was being used this time, but, in the past, with SD, Freddie Washington has used his old P bass with Badass and Bartolini mods.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

I don't know what was being used this time, but, in the past, with SD, Freddie Washington has used his old P bass with Badass and Bartolini mods.

Based on various pics on Twitter purporting to be from last night (such as this one below), it was a natural finish jazz bass 5 string. Doesn’t look like a Fender headstock but not one I recognised either (Sadowsky, Lakland for example). 

No doubt someone more knowledgable will be along shortly........

BCED81D2-FA00-491C-8BFD-B0A69CDD8B42.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I thought this might be of interest to some.

Steely Dan "Stand By The Seawall". A track that didn't make it onto Aja.

Of course, not the finished article and they are all just laying down ideas, but some great playing by Chuck Rainey and Steve Gadd .

Edited by lowdown

On 19 May 2019 at 14:24, songofthewind said:

Thanks for this, I’d never heard it before. It sounds a wee bit unfinished in comparison to the ultra sheen of the the album. But hey, I’d take the bass gig if it was going..

The bass player at the Dublin gig was sensational.  Played almost nothing but roots but he played for the songs and got everything right.  And he sat on his stool most of the time.  He showed that less is most definitely more.

• Like 1