Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan!

songofthewind

7 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

One of the greatest bands to ever record music. Nothing was a mistake. (Apart from Raineys slap part on Peg) Preplanned genius. Gutted i missed them. They could go on all they liked. Imo

Granted some new strings wouldn't have hurt but i love the whole Peg bassline slap part included...

• Like 1

Superb, genius band, fantastic music and I'd throw in Fagen's solo albums, too. Becker's were ok, a little more poppy and angular, but put those styles together and you have Steely Dan.

I've seen them a couple of times, including shortly after Becker passed away and that was a good bill with the excellent Doobie Brothers, but these days, I tend to go and watch the SD tribute bands, like Nearly Dan and the fabulous Stanley Dee.

Enjoy the gig for whoever's going and it's a nostalgia trip. Looks like it might still be 'Ready' Freddie Washington (of Forget me Nots fame) on bass.

I'm not the biggest fan but an SD hits comp is one to have in any music collection. They are also one of the few 'rock' bands where  the guitar solos always serve the songs. The one on Reelin' In The Years is a textbook example to any guitarist of how to do solos properly. Take note metally type widdlers!

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not the biggest fan but an SD hits comp is one to have in any music collection. They are also one of the few 'rock' bands where  the guitar solos always serve the songs. The one on Reelin' In The Years is a textbook example to any guitarist of how to do solos properly. Take note metally type widdlers!

I cant really say i consider them a Rock band. The crossed genres along time ago. Imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I cant really say i consider them a Rock band. The crossed genres along time ago. Imo.

that's why i put inverted commas around 'rock'  though IMO they are a rock band albeit one with many influences such as jazz. For me 'rock' ranges from landfill indie and the softer end (e.g. Fleet Mac MkII, Billy Joel etc through to bands with names like Suppurating FleshWound.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I freakin love Steely Dan. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. In fact, I just did.

I realise everything I know and prize about music came through their filter. As a guitar player I endlessly copped licks and feel, and ditto as a bass player. Their sense of rhythm and timing is impeccable, methinks IMHO YMMV.

What bugs me is that I have not been able to hear the bass player at any of their gigs I have attended.

Admittedly all in barns like NEC, O2 etc. Shame. I hope you guys get to hear Freddie when you go to see SD this time!

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

Old people!!

Lots of farting and crunching noises when they sit down. Carlock was indeed an absolute monster. Wasn’t Tom Barney on bass as I thought it would be. Some guy called Ready Freddie Washington? Is he any good? Has he done anything I would know? 🤔😜

i had been looking forward to this for months and it was a great show. Unfortunately I was sat so far back, I couldn’t see what bass Freddie was playing but it was a great bass sound and an excellent mix. Kick drum was right where it should be and vocal & brass harmonies all shone through. 

For the encore of Reelin’ in the Years, Elliot Randall came out to play his signature intro & solo, 34 years since they recorded it per Donald. A perfect ending to a special gig!

• Like 1