Why become a member? ×

Daddario half rounds

hooky_lowdown

Been curious about half rounds for a while, so got some as I like the feel of flats and the brighter and articulate sound you get from rounds, and put them on my p bass. What a disappointment! For the price (£36) these strings are a huge let down, way overpriced for what they are.

They have some very thin plastic coating on them, which is fine, but they don't look or feel anywhere as smooth to the touch as flatwounds, as a result there's still a fair amount of finger noise, I would say half rounds give a minimal reduction (around 10%) less audible finger noise than standard rounds, they sound just like nickel rounds.

As I had a new set of Fender nickel rounds laying around I thought I would wrap some fine sandpaper around them and rub them down, removing any debris with some alcohol wipes. Put them on the same p bass last night and they sound and feel exactly the same (only less sticky) as the half rounds, costing £20 less than the Daddario's.

I don't know if the Daddario's will last longer than the rubbed down Fender nickel rounds, time will tell, even if they don't I will do the classic - soak them in alcohol. But for what the half rounds cost I feel they definitely not worth the money.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Been curious about half rounds for a while, so got some as I like the feel of flats and the brighter and articulate sound you get from rounds, and put them on my p bass. What a disappointment! For the price (£36) these strings are a huge let down, way overpriced for what they are.

They have some very thin plastic coating on them, which is fine, but they don't look or feel anywhere as smooth to the touch as flatwounds, as a result there's still a fair amount of finger noise, I would say half rounds give a minimal reduction (around 10%) less audible finger noise than standard rounds, they sound just like nickel rounds.

As I had a new set of Fender nickel rounds laying around I thought I would wrap some fine sandpaper around them and rub them down, removing any debris with some alcohol wipes. Put them on the same p bass last night and they sound and feel exactly the same (only less sticky) as the half rounds, costing £20 less than the Daddario's.

I don't know if the Daddario's will last longer than the rubbed down Fender nickel rounds, time will tell, even if they don't I will do the classic - soak them in alcohol. But for what the half rounds cost I feel they definitely not worth the money.

Thanks Hooky. I’ve been wondering about half rounds for a while and was tempted to try a set - you’ve just saved me £36!

Thats cold comfort to you, I know, but you can take heart from knowing that you’ve just performed a valuable consumer service!

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Thanks Hooky. I’ve been wondering about half rounds for a while and was tempted to try a set - you’ve just saved me £36!

Thats cold comfort to you, I know, but you can take heart from knowing that you’ve just performed a valuable consumer service!

Thanks. I've read things from others who have tried half rounds, but gave little detail about the things or reasons to buy them, like smoothness, finger noise. 

Glad I saved you a few quid. 😀

• Thanks 1