Why become a member? ×

Further ZOOM B3n Observations required

B.Flat

I already posted on the quality of the B3n amp/cab sims, but I have another specific query, as follows.

Has anyone got useful advice on the use of the ZOOM B3n, particularly with regard to signal path pros and cons of before amplifier preamp versus being in the FX loop.

Any other observations and advice would be good.

One of the points of amp/cab emulation is being able to replace/remove the thing you are emulating (i.e. the physical amp/cab).  As such, one argument is to remove anything downstream of the Zoom which would modify its tone.  For a traditional bass rig, that would mean plugging the Zoom into the "return" of the amp's fx loop, i.e. bypassing the amp's preamp.  Taking that thought further, I've found that a powered PA speaker is more neutral than most bass rigs and provides no further colouration.

• Like 1

I’ve only done one gig with mine and ran it as a glorified pedal board, in between the bass and preamp. Obviously the amp and cab simulators weren’t used and I was pleased with how it sounded. No noticeable change in my bypassed tone either.

Thanks for the replies;

How do people feel about the B3n being upstream of other effects and tone shapers if these downstream items are bypassed?

I ask because I am trying to implement the Zoom along with a Yamaha FX500B and a Yamaha PB1 preamp. The 500B bypass I think cannot be true bypass as the gain control still works, and I can only set the PB1 controls to flat response. Do you think the B3n can be considered truly bypassed on an "EMPTY" patch setting ?

Why am I  doing this? Well there are certain settings on all three items that I would like to remain at my disposal, plus there are some settings when the 500B & ZOOM are are together in the PB1 FX loop which I also like.

If you think I am being a bit of a "richard-head" feel free to comment !

Sounds sensible to me.  There isn't really a "wrong" way - if it sounds good, then it's good.

The Zoom are not true bypass - I think it's still doing an analogue-digital-analogue conversion even on an empty patch (or the tuner).  Opinions differ regarding if it makes an audible difference.

I am finding the Zoom is replacing the separate boxes I normally use, which are various compressors, mainly. So I have a few separate patches, not more than three, for funk, straight with chorus, and fretless. I tried it in the loop of my Markbass CMD102, but it was overdriven very easily by the preamp, and sounded crap. So now it's straight into the front of the amp, and no problems hatsoever.

I'm very happy with my B3n, it has now replaced my pedal board for gigs as it is so much easier to manage and cart around. I use the same clean/compressed patch for 95% of songs, plus one funk and one tremolo so it couldn't be easier to use live, with the rhythm pedal added to each patch so it is available for practicing. And the unit is small enough to fit in the pocket of the gig bag and tucks away in a corner or sits on the amp for pub gigs when there's not much space on the floor.

On 21/02/2019 at 15:18, operative451 said:

How many different noises do you want to make? My main reason for using my zoom less is that it just does too much..!

this is the odd thing about it, I find I have to be very disciplined to make really nice simple patches that just do the things I want and ignore most of the other stuff on there! 

To the OP, just look for one secondhand and get it, it's good. If you don't love it you may find that one or two of the effects are worth keeping it for, or even the looper and drum machine or line in as a practice tool... or if you pick it up secondhand you can sell it for near what you paid for it. Just get one! :)