Why become a member? ×

De-Frett - Is it worth it?

Linus27

The only bass I have left to buy to be GAS free is a fretless. However Fender make it impossible to find an unlined Jazz/Precision (apart from the Tony Franklin) and so I was wondering if de-fretting a fretted bass really works and is worth doing. I love the look of the Fender Flea Jazz with its stacked concentric controls and the vintage pickups sounded lovely. Maybe a fiesta red Road Worn Fender Jazz as well. Pick up a second hand of either one of those and get it professionally de-fretted. Think it might also be quite cool and unique to have a fretless Flea Jazz bass.

Totally stupid idea or a goer?

11 minutes ago, therealting said:

Are you stuck on it being a Fender? I have two great unlined fretlesses up for sale in the Classifieds. The Revelation is in the Fender vein and really very good  

Yeah, I'm afraid so. I've played bass for 30 years and had various Stingray's, Warwick's. Fenders, Ibanez's, Status, Washburn, Lakland's and they have all gone as I just feel the most comfortable playing a Fender bass. The only bass other bass I love is my 1988 ESP Jazz bass but I since found out it was made on the same production line as Japanese Fenders. It has exactly the same headstock as a Fender and all the Fender components are interchangeable so its basically a Fender with an ESP logo on the head. I've just realized now that there is no point trying anything else these day :)

Edited by Linus27

Just now, Bassassin said:

If you're after an unlined neck, you might be better looking for an aftermarket Fender-licensed replacement. De-fretting a neck will result in a lined board, no matter how good a job it is.

Even if they try and match the neck wood or is this never ideal?

I would give a Status Graphite neck a try. I have two of their necks (fretless J and fretted MM).

Lined fretless is a bit like cheating yourself, as it is not very ergonomic to try to see the fretlines. Side markers are a must to me: many double bassist do not need them.

6 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Even if they try and match the neck wood or is this never ideal?

Never seen a de-fretted neck where the lines weren't pretty obvious. Also can't imagine a top-end de-fret would be a great deal less expensive than a decent replacement.

I've got an unlined fretless (ebony board) Jazz for sale here. Still not a Fender, though the neck is a licensed Fender one.

Probably not what you want either, but just in case: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/335813-unlined-fretless-jazz-bitsa

Agreed about the lines - I could never get on with them either, and have only ever played unlined.

37 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Having played both, there's basically no difference to playing it and lined/unlined is just to do with looks. If you don't like the look of a lined, fair enough.

Same, I just find the lines a distraction and prefer to use the side dots as reference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Only the Tony Franklin is unlined. All of the other Fender models are lined and the stand alone neck that they sell is lined as well.

That may the case now, but it certainly wasn't historically. I used to own this 1971:

DSCF4187

When I sold it, I replaced it with this 1976:

Fender (30)_PS

Not a fretline in sight ...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That may the case now, but it certainly wasn't historically. I used to own this 1971:

DSCF4187

When I sold it, I replaced it with this 1976:

Fender (30)_PS

Not a fretline in sight ...

I know, this is my gripe with Fender, they haven't done an unlined fretless standard Jazz or Precision for ages. Not even a reissue/FSR 70's fretless for ages and they have so much history of unlined fretless basses.

8 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Here's a great fretboard replacement on a Fender from a few years ago. Reasonably cheap too:

Oh, Gareth was round my house last week picking up my two MarkBass cabs. I could of asked him about this bass if I had known hehehehe

7 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I know, this is my gripe with Fender, they haven't done an unlined fretless standard Jazz or Precision for ages. Not even a reissue/FSR 70's fretless for ages and they have so much history of unlined fretless basses.

Indeed; if they still made them I would have simply bought a new one ages ago, saving me an enormous amount of bother.

I had an original 62 jazz bass made fretless. New unlined unmarked board. Also had a large fender log jv Squier defretted in n the 80s. Kept the fingerboard and had the gaps filled with matching rosewood fillets so the lines disappeared. Both great basses.

As long as you don't need to sell, who cares about the value?