Why become a member? ×

Medium scale 32 inch which strings

Skezza

I have owned and do own a number of 4 and 5 string basses all of which have been 34 inch or 35 inch scale.

Due to the onset of arthritis in my left hand I have just bought off here a 32 inch scale 4 string GRECO bass off 

SLAPPINDABASS. really just to see if its easier to play and if i like it

Can I use normal long scale strings on this or do I have to use some specifically shorter medium scale strings.

Any advice would be welcome

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Thanks guys This guitar was so cheap a japanese GRECO for £80 I thought ill give it a try.

a 30 inch may be my next purchase 

If you like the pj configuration, and looking for an inexpensive short scale, most peeps around here will suggest the squire vm jaguar. If you find a Mustang version all the better.

On 21/02/2019 at 18:31, hooky_lowdown said:

You can use full length strings on a 32 scale. You'll probably find there is not a lot of difference between 34 and 32 inch scale, so possibly won't help your onset artiritus. A short scale (30 inch) would probably benefit you more.

Personally I find a very noticable difference between 32 & 34", much more that I expected.

String wise D'addario, Warwick, Newtone, and I thing Rotosound make Medium scale strings, and I'm sure there are many others.

Edited by Count Bassy

35 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Personally I find a very noticable difference between 32 & 34", much more that I expected.

String wise D'addario, Warwick, Newtone, and I thing Rotosound make Medium scale strings, and I'm sure there are many others.

What specific difference did you find? After a few minutes playing I didn't find any difference,  I found it very easy to adjust.

• 2 weeks later...

Just that the stretches are much easier on the 32", especially if "Double stopping". Eg trying to play a classic twelve bar thing up at the 12th fret (ie playing the guitar part) - I can do it on a32", but really struggle on a 34 inch, but everything is jsut that bit easier wherever you are on the neck.

Edited by Count Bassy