Why become a member? ×

my custom bass nightmare (literally)!

skidder652003

Wow weird or what? Just woke up from a horrible nightmare. In it, I went to a famous custom luthier just to look at his work and the next thing I know he's building me this incredible thing made from exotic materials and I don't know how much its going to cost. I didn't want him to start it but he was really keen and just got on with it and Im fretting and anxious about the cost. Finally he tells me it'll be in the 13 grand region ( I thought maybe 2 grand!) and I have to tell him I can't afford it. He looks all disappointed and a bit upset but tells me it's ok and I wake up feeling incredibly guilty, like it's all my fault. What the hecks that all about?!

Is "luthier" even a real thing? It seems like one of those modern awful-isms, like "artisan baker".

In my day (etc), there was cake shops, guitar techs, people who fixed guitars, people who built guitars.

The spotty lad who works in Timpsons definitely isn't a watch maker.

And to be honest, I'm not much of a social influencer, although I could call myself one.

So, luthier. Is there certain papers required before they can assume that title?

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is "luthier" even a real thing? It seems like one of those modern awful-isms, like "artisan baker".

In my day (etc), there was guitar techs. People who fixed guitars. People who built guitars.

And to be honest, I'm not much of a social influencer, although I could call myself one.

So, luthier. Is there certain papers required before they can assume that title?

According to Wikipedia, to be a true Luthier you need to have made lutes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

In my day (etc), there was guitar techs. People who fixed guitars. People who built guitars.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/so-you-want-my-job-luthier-guitar-maker/

Especially for you Ricky :)

If you want the certificate to prove that you are an artisan baker/ rocket scientist/ Chief Inspector of Her Majesty's Constabulary/  luthier, I can provided this for £10 plus p&p :)

@fleabag was more than happy with his police certificate ;)

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Yes, it's laughable at how some drawing programs and a printer can work wonders

"Drawing Programs!" - how very dare you! :o

I'll have you know that my "drawings" are all tiny, hand-crafted masterpieces! :i-m_so_happy:

Look - I even have a certificate... ;)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Wow weird or what? Just woke up from a horrible nightmare. In it, I went to a famous custom luthier just to look at his work and the next thing I know he's building me this incredible thing made from exotic materials and I don't know how much its going to cost. I didn't want him to start it but he was really keen and just got on with it and Im fretting and anxious about the cost. Finally he tells me it'll be in the 13 grand region ( I thought maybe 2 grand!) and I have to tell him I can't afford it. He looks all disappointed and a bit upset but tells me it's ok and I wake up feeling incredibly guilty, like it's all my fault. What the hecks that all about?!

I was once told that dreams usually mean the opposite. No idea who or where it came from and i can't validate its authenticity.

So you'll buy what you think is a fantastic Custom bass at a ridiculous price only to find out its a cheap foreign import and you'll need to pay substantial import tax after March:biggrin:

Dave

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

He phoned me direct and i shared on FB with the world. You have been warned. Hippie Dave's take no prisoners.

You know he' a chatbot, with pre-recorded voice messages? He's usually calling about PPI claims!

4 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Always my fault, innit!?! :|

Yes, it is. 😁

• Haha 3