Why become a member? ×

Knackered Pots?

Basscabman

Please someone, help him. The control compartment looks like after a world war. That is everything but reliable or working unit. I would change:

- the maker

- all components seen in the pictures.

If you are after a quality set, replace pots with blue Bourns pots.

https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/Bourns/96A1D-G28-S23L?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU8rCtvM96wXO7q3HYRkOsNA%3D

Yes, these cost nearly 5 times more than some lousy CTS or Alpha but these are quality. And on top of anything else, they do not produce noise, like their carbon siblings.

Apologies for the crap change to the diagram but you should be able to see what I mean ....

I would do this with two pieces of wire with crocodile clips at each end to make it easy, but you may be able to wrap the wire for the purpose of testing.

Essentially what you are doing, is hooking up to one volume pot at a time and bypassing the rest of the circuit and going directly to the bass lead. This will show how each volume pot is doing in isolation and should reveal if one of those pots is faulty. One connection to the pot earth and one to the hot, same on the lead and away you go.

image.jpeg.86f48c8813f940e878f6d6a6fa51b0c6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36e0dd22834870c3ead64528b7f8b5d7.jpeg