Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller 5 string or Ibanez SR505?

Chrisbassboy5

Hi, just been to Andertons today looking for a nice 5 string for my 50th birthday in Sept and have £500 to spend.

Was happy to go for a SR505 but then the buggers there threw me a MM bass which felt good.

What's people view of the MM? Anyone buy one and would you go MM or Ibanez?

Any ideas and personal opinions appreciated as they only seem to be on offer in Andertons...

Thanks folks.

Chris

+1

The Sire basses get excellent reviews & like Ibanez, are fantastic value for money.  I'd happily have either.

Ibanez had a rock image for a while (back in the 90s), but I find they have a great pallette of sounds and fit in with just about any genre both sound and visually.

if weight of the instrument matters to you then quite possibly Sire will be heavier than the Ibanez, just one thing you should consider I suppose - but both provide pretty good value for the money; having noodled on both I think Ibanez is just a little faster, easier to play (but neither are for me, sadly, I need a wider, slightly chunkier neck)

Andertons have a wall of Sire basses. I'd check them out, but out of the basses you mention my choice would be the one that felt best and sounded best. . . . to you.

From a distance I'd be expecting the Marcus Miller Jazz to be the sound I prefer. I'm generally a fan of Fender Jazz style basses.

Always worth checking 'basses for sale'  on here. My budget for a 5ver was about £700, got an Ibanez SR1205 for £550 from another basschatter and fell in love with Ibbys.

I love a 2nd hand bass' lived in feel but you may be looking for something fresh out the box as a 50th b'day treat.

• Like 1

I have always listed after Ibanez basses, they're bound to be excellently put together. I have got a Sire Vintage V7 though, and got it with options that you just can't find off the shelf in lefty basses under a grand. It was my main gigging bass from the day it arrived until  the day a Stingray arrived... Excellent value basses, great feel, very versatile pre amp that's easy for someone like me who isn't great with active electronics. Still, feel is so much more important than any other factors. I'd say go for which one gave you the biggest grin when playing. 

I got a P7 5 (ash/maple) from Andertons on Monday. its a lovely bass. much more playable than my other Sire V7, and fit and finish is spot on. I am unfortunately sending it back as i feel the P tones isnt quite what i hoped. Lacks a bit of punch compared to my other P basses. Still a P, just not the right flavour for me. I also think there is an issue with the bridge pup so rather than worry about it ill send it back. A real shame as i love everything else about it.

I bought a MM 5'er as an Xmas present to myself. It has a couple of very minor flaws (see my review in the review section here), but on balance I am really happy with it. You should be able to get one for much less than £500 leaving you with some change. Mine was £383 I think from Thomann

I'm currently playing a MM jazz on a cruise contract. 5 sets a day is crippling my back (I'm 27 and I'd like to think I'm in good shape!) And I'm using a Gruv Gear strap, so the weight may be an issue but I absolutely adore the thing. The amount of guests that come up to me after a gig commenting on how great it sounds speaks volumes. 

• 2 years later...
On 21/02/2019 at 19:55, davegriffiths91 said:

I'm currently playing a MM jazz on a cruise contract. 5 sets a day is crippling my back (I'm 27 and I'd like to think I'm in good shape!) And I'm using a Gruv Gear strap, so the weight may be an issue but I absolutely adore the thing. The amount of guests that come up to me after a gig commenting on how great it sounds speaks volumes. 

You need to read @Happy Jackthread on back pain and posture. Hopefully he'll see this and post a link.