Why become a member? ×

Mourning the passing of GAS

Guest MoJo

I've been through a fairly modest 25 basses, 15 bass amps and 12 cabs, but the ones I've got now are pretty established i think. Been using the same amp set up for seven years (Markbass into an Aguilar or Schroeder cab) and the same main bass for nearly 25 years ( a Fender P ).

I haven't stopped lusting over eBay, Bass Direct, Gumtree etc but then I realise I don't really need anything more (and can't afford it anyway!)

You are indeed in a bad place, have you received or have sought professional help.

I think you may need to consider this before you end up on a park bench gently rocking back and forth in your underpants.

Just remember until you have tried all you will never know.......

I hope you grow out of this phase and come to your senses before its too late.

This might help....

50210444_10156300135343090_332994616959696896_n.jpg

50241628_10156300135763090_5320733446245449728_n.jpg

50259881_10156300135583090_6644559254407610368_n.jpg

50404463_10156300135413090_4535088369079681024_n.jpg

50474524_10156300136068090_6835461338009960448_n.jpg

50534743_10156300135538090_2706160306530287616_n.jpg

• Like 1

I needed (yes, yes...) a dark sounding bass. I went to a luthier and asked him to help me. I bought a Status MM neck, and I had an old humbucker (Q-tuner, clear and red). He asked me few questions and handcrafted the body from birch. He put all parts together.

She is close to a Precision by heart, but still a modified custom that is far better than any P-bass that I have played. Because this dark lady was made for me, she's not a beach, sorry, bitsa.

So have you ever been thinking to enhance the best features of your favourite bass and take away the annoying details? Have a meeting with a luthier and amaze yourself. Weight, shape, size, colour, scale length, pickup...

IMG_0236r.thumb.JPG.dcf1e9fd3c0a2cbc4af5820c94b981de.JPG

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:43, spencer.b said:

Just keep buying P basses , I've got 6 and I still lust after the next

I'm with him.

P Basses from different years.

P Basses with different string

P Basses with different pickups

P Basses with different colours

P Basses with different wiring harnesses \ pots

P basses with different neck lengths.

Think of the opportunities you have to explore new territories in the world of P Bass!

:-o!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldboy said:

I'm with him.

P Basses from different years.

P Basses with different string

P Basses with different pickups

P Basses with different colours

P Basses with different wiring harnesses \ pots

P basses with different neck lengths.

Think of the opportunities you have to explore new territories in the world of P Bass!

😮!

Makes me think there's scope for a whole new sub-forum, "Pbasschat".

All this talk of PBasses makes me think that i need to try some more in case The One is out there. I have a nice 1982 Precision but it weighs more than an Austin Princess - I might have to go seek out the Perfect P.

Dammit. This thread has given me GAS.....

Aaaaaaaaargh!

I've also kind of reached that stage. Having played Thunderbirds for over 20 years (I have 8 or 9 of them), I've constantly thought I need to try something else. I even gigged a Fender Jazz I got recently. But at half-time I felt fortunate that I'd also brought a 'bird with me just in case - and swapped back for the second set.

I've come to realise that I'm just a Thunderbird sort of bloke, and have no inclination to buy any more basses (red Nikki Sixx T-bird would be seriously considered, though).

Similarly, I played through Trace gear since 1995 and was always happy with it. Last year I thought it was time for something different (and lighter) and now have a Markbass rig which I'm happy with.

My GAS has been transferred to LED stage lights ,DMX controllers, wireless transmitters and receivers for them, and so on. Soon I'll have far too many to take to the average pub gig. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

80F747A6-E24D-4E4B-95C5-5BAF7DB9EA5D.thumb.jpeg.3811a903c38ab5afe51d44e9098f0042.jpeg

Gassed for a BB300 like my first ever bass in 1997. Found one, a 1984 (YOB) which cures two bouts of Gas.

Gassed for a 414 in Orange Metallic like my old 415. But wanted a pickguard on it. Found both items and sorted that.

that lead me to want a 1024x in Caramel Brown because that’s like a big boy version of the 414 and they didn’t do anything I liked finish wise on the 2024.

And that’s me GAS done. I am selling an 1100s I picked up along the way as it’s a shame it won’t see use.

Me also.  After 37 basses and at least five amp setups I seem to have settled down.  Hohner VI (my 3rd!) with a Markbass LM2 + Traveller 1x12.  

Trouble is the GAS has simply shifted to my sax... sigh 

Edited by lownote12

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

80F747A6-E24D-4E4B-95C5-5BAF7DB9EA5D.thumb.jpeg.3811a903c38ab5afe51d44e9098f0042.jpeg

Gassed for a BB300 like my first ever bass in 1997. Found one, a 1984 (YOB) which cures two bouts of Gas.

Gassed for a 414 in Orange Metallic like my old 415. But wanted a pickguard on it. Found both items and sorted that.

that lead me to want a 1024x in Caramel Brown because that’s like a big boy version of the 414 and they didn’t do anything I liked finish wise on the 2024.

And that’s me GAS done. I am selling an 1100s I picked up along the way as it’s a shame it won’t see use.

I love that orange BB414 with the pickguard. It's a shame that Yamaha didn't do the 424X in that colour 

4 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I found the necks on the 414 nicer than the 424's

Both my 414 and 1024 were virtually unplayed when I received them.

both are finished like a stingray, a bit “dry” feeling - wouldn’t mind them buffing to a shine.

but I’ll play them to death and shine them up the old school way.

love the glossy necks on the old bb’s.

41 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

I've also kind of reached that stage. Having played Thunderbirds for over 20 years (I have 8 or 9 of them), I've constantly thought I need to try something else. I even gigged a Fender Jazz I got recently. But at half-time I felt fortunate that I'd also brought a 'bird with me just in case - and swapped back for the second set.

I've come to realise that I'm just a Thunderbird sort of bloke, and have no inclination to buy any more basses (red Nikki Sixx T-bird would be seriously considered, though).

Similarly, I played through Trace gear since 1995 and was always happy with it. Last year I thought it was time for something different (and lighter) and now have a Markbass rig which I'm happy with.

My GAS has been transferred to LED stage lights ,DMX controllers, wireless transmitters and receivers for them, and so on. Soon I'll have far too many to take to the average pub gig. :)

Funny that, I bought a lovely Thunderbird 2015 model with the Babicz bridge etc. It looked killer and sounded pretty good too, but I ended up only using my Mike Lull Jazz at gigs so the T-Bird just sat there not getting played, so I sold it on evilbay to a bloke who bought it because he'd "always wanted a T-bird".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HengistPod said:

After a few bouts of bass and amp GAS over the past year or so I've come to the conclusion that  I have my bass and amplification requirements fulfilled, but after being "volunteered" to sort out lights for our band I find myself hunting for DMX bargains now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrBike said:

, but after being "volunteered" to sort out lights for our band I find myself hunting for DMX bargains now.

I'm sure that hunting down the best/cheapest/bargain/ultimate/whatever piece of kit is a "man"thing that's the modern equivalent of hunting the mammoth.

I like nothing better than a good 'project', especially for something I don't know much about. The research, the shortlist, the bargain chase....

And a good spreadsheet whenever there's the opportunity.

Or is that just me?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

Funny that, I bought a lovely Thunderbird 2015 model with the Babicz bridge etc. ... 

See, I tried the Babicz bridge, and I tried the Hipshot bridge too. But then they both came off again and the trusty 3-pointer went back on. Just feels "right".

Speaking of calluses, the only proper piece of elephant skin I have is on the outer edge of my right hand where it tends to sit in front of the top bolt on said bridge.

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

I'm sure that hunting down the best/cheapest/bargain/ultimate/whatever piece of kit is a "man"thing that's the modern equivalent of hunting the mammoth.

I've seen a few mammoths in the supermarket here, but there's no way I'm gonna chase them down

Edited by DrBike
  • Haha 2

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:14, Skinnyman said:

All this talk of PBasses makes me think that i need to try some more in case The One is out there. I have a nice 1982 Precision but it weighs more than an Austin Princess - I might have to go seek out the Perfect P.

Dammit. This thread has given me GAS.....

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Dammit, missed out:

P Bass with different wood!