Why become a member? ×

Mourning the passing of GAS

Guest MoJo

For the past 8-10 years, I have lost count of the number of times a friend or band mate has joked, “Another new bass?” I have, not undeservedly, earned a reputation for turning up at almost every gig with a different instrument. Having tried all manner of basses, active, passive, both, I have come to the sad conclusion that nothing works better in our band than a P-bass. I say sad conclusion because this realisation has killed my GAS. I used to look forward to a chance to try out a new bass at a gig, quite often only to discover that it didn’t work for me and have to go through the process of selling it again. Now, I know that nothing will work any better for me than the ‘P’, I feel almost a sense of mourning at the loss of my GAS. Now I have to turn up at each gig with the same bass which will function flawlessly and sound great.

Like an addict, I still have eBay ‘saved searches’ and sometimes add a search result to my watch list, only to remove it a few days later with a ‘had one before, couldn’t get on with it, remember?’ sigh of resignation. 

A GASless life is a joyless life. Vive le GAS

Personally I found that finding ‘the one’ made my gas shift from a frantic search to a more fun curiosity based and less desperate toe dipping foray into basses I’ve always wanted to try, safe in the knowledge that I’ve got ‘my’ bass locked in already. It’s been like that for ten years and I’m much happier for it. 

Sorry I know I’m not helping but it’s kind of my job not to ;)

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

After 140 odd basses, 70+ cabs and 30+ amps I am completely GAS free and enjoying it.

No more chasing the dragon as it were to get the next new thing that will be better than what I already have. The reason being that I am perfectly happy with what I already have. 

If I buy another bass then I need to go on the strings roundabout to get the best feeling brand, then the best gauge, then nickel/flatwound/stainless steel/etc. Then there's adjusting the strap to the correct length, adjusting the action. In fact I liken it to getting a new car: you spend ages faffing around with the seat, steering wheel angle and distance, wing mirror adjustment etc etc but when you get it just how you like it then you don't touch it again and travel in comfort with everything adjusted perfectly well to your liking. As soon as you step into another car then you have to start again.

So for me the perfect combination is:

Musicman Sterling with D'addario EXL165 strings but using a 110 gauge E string so I can drop the E to B, Hipshot Ultralites with the Drop tuner on the E, Schaller straplocks and Line6 wireless straight into my QSC K12.2

OK, so you have the bass sorted. But now you get to put all that GAS energy into amps, cabs, lighting, PA, set list software, clothes, shades, hairstyle, image consultants, a new laptop.....

You may have won a battle, but the war ain't over by a long way.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ped said:

Personally I found that finding ‘the one’ made my gas shift from a frantic search to a more fun curiosity based and less desperate toe dipping foray into basses I’ve always wanted to try, safe in the knowledge that I’ve got ‘my’ bass locked in already. It’s been like that for ten years and I’m much happier for it. 

Sorry I know I’m not helping but it’s kind of my job not to ;)

I always take GAS is a symptom for not being a focused, or worthwhile musician - that I’m getting distracted by so many trinkets.... 

however fun curiosity trying things cos it could be fun... ild encourage that! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I always take GAS is a symptom for not being a focused, or worthwhile musician - that I’m getting distracted by so many trinkets.... 

however fun curiosity trying things cos it could be fun... ild encourage that! 

I’m much worse when I’m not in a band. I need to scrap my eBay, Facebook and basschat accounts though - it’s like being in the sweet shop all the time.

Once the bb1100s is gone, I’m done buying and selling. Self imposed ban.

I've had some greats basses and rigs and some crap ones over the years,my new gas is short and medium scale basses now I think I have a problem and need some type of counciling short scale less room taken up ,so buy more of them .dont mind if I do thanks 🤔

53 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I tried that self imposed ban thing. Trouble is, I’m a maverick and wouldn’t listen to myself

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m much worse when I’m not in a band. I need to scrap my eBay, Facebook and basschat accounts though - it’s like being in the sweet shop all the time.

The ban thing just doesn't work. It's like any addiction, you have to actually want to stop doing something or have some sort of epiphany before you can actually truthfully say to yourself that that's it, I'm finished.

It is an addiction whether it be cigarettes, alcohol, driving fast cars too fast, coffee or basses and these 5 all applied to me at one point or another. You get a buzz from it, the elevated heart rate at the end of an Ebay auction wondering if you will be the highest bidder or manically trying to type in a higher price at the last moment.

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Don’t give me ideas

It’s actually not the worst idea... one P can sound modern and bright, another can have a more smooth, dark vintage tone. 

You may want to have ‘twins’ and string one with flats, or perhaps have one in BEAD tuning.

And that’s before you even get in to how they look, fingerboard materials etc.

Hopefully this will help cure your illness!

George

• Haha 1

You will never cure the GAS - you will simply re-direct it
Think of all the different P basses out there you can own....
I mean, have you got a maple board, and rosewood, is Pau Ferro an improvement on Rosewood?
Have you got one in Oly White, and one in Sunburst? Hmm, could you do with one in black, and one in natural finish? How about Fiesta Red? 

GAS Cured? ha ha ha ;)

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

I don’t have the room any more and I’m rubbish at selling stuff (though I do have a jazz guitar I’d let go at the right price). I went through a phase of buying a few nice pieces after my divorce, “because I could, finally, I was free to do as I pleased”, so I did. Once that was satisfied the “need” left me. These days it is specific instruments for work (the fretless and the jazz copy) and I am trying to use everything I have. The irony being that my most used instruments are the least expensive! A useful lesson.

However, I do have one major GAS .... a baroque lute, swan neck, 13 course. £7k new, half that second hand. Then I would need the time to learn it.  Unlikely to happen. Hey ho, enjoy what you’ve got!

3 hours ago, kevvo66 said:

You have to kiss a lot of princes /princesses before you find the one 😁

Or, put another way, you have to suffer a lot of pricks before you touch the rose.

never understood that myself, but mother used the phrase a lot

• Like 1