Why become a member? ×

Eastwood Warren Ellis Bass

Quilly

I was just looking at the Black Widow Bass yesterday and saw this.

It looks like a cross between the Mustang and Musicmaster basses and for the price I could pick up a 70s Musicmaster or get a CIJ/MIJ Mustang (and some change), I also suspect they are using a guitar pickup (like the Musicmaster) as there is alot of references to how guitar like the bass is and how you can use it with your guitar amp, definitely marketed to guitarists.

I love the look and bet it sounds okay too. I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a Mustang and Bronco.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, borntohang said:

I want to try one next time I'm in the Eastwood shop for sure, but wish they'd done one with some different pickup options. I actually tried out the Baritone Tenor model and it would work quite nicely as a super-shorty in the right context. 

There’s an Eastwood shop?

4 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

I was just looking at the Black Widow Bass yesterday and saw this.

It looks like a cross between the Mustang and Musicmaster basses and for the price I could pick up a 70s Musicmaster or get a CIJ/MIJ Mustang (and some change), I also suspect they are using a guitar pickup (like the Musicmaster) as there is alot of references to how guitar like the bass is and how you can use it with your guitar amp, definitely marketed to guitarists.

I love the look and bet it sounds okay too. I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a Mustang and Bronco.

Is it my imagination or have their guitars really jumped up in price? You could probably get a MIA P bass second hand for that price. Definitely a Player MiM j or p bass (and they are sweet) 

9 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

It's basically a Bronco with a posh pickup, isn't it? No bad thing - I didn't realise what a good bit of kit my Bronco was until I'd sold it on, though the pickup was one of the more idiosyncractic aspects!

Is this the same Warren Ellis of Dirty Three/Bad Seeds fame?

Not sure...but that bass is based on a Warren Ellis tenor guitar.

2 hours ago, Quilly said:

Not sure...but that bass is based on a Warren Ellis tenor guitar.

Aha! Just looked up the Tenor model, where the description confirms it is indeed Nick Cave's current writing partner.

I also didn't realise that tenor guitars were basically tuned like violins - so I have learnt something new today.

On 21/02/2019 at 16:10, EliasMooseblaster said:

Aha! Just looked up the Tenor model, where the description confirms it is indeed Nick Cave's current writing partner.

I also didn't realise that tenor guitars were basically tuned like violins - so I have learnt something new today.

That means they’re also tuned likecmandolinscand octave mandolas. But back to basses, how do Eastwood get away with complete copies without getting sued? As far as old Mosrites, I guess Semi is dead now, but they copy Charvel surfcasters too and Jackson/Charvel are still active.

32 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

That means they’re also tuned likecmandolinscand octave mandolas. But back to basses, how do Eastwood get away with complete copies without getting sued? As far as old Mosrites, I guess Semi is dead now, but they copy Charvel surfcasters too and Jackson/Charvel are still active.

Guitar designs are notoriously hard to protect in terms of copyright.

But I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Eastwood actually aquired the rights to the Surfcaster design.

I know Fender cancelled the original product line as one of their first acts when they took over Jackson /Charvel because they felt Surfcasters were in direct competition with their own Jaguar/Jazzmaster designs and also because their plan for Jackson/Charvel was to concentrate on the heavy market where traditional Fender designs didn't have much of a presence and the Surfcasters didn't fit that branding.

Maybe when Eastwood came along 20 odd years later enquiring about an obsolete design they had no plans to revive Fender were happy to sell the rights on

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Worse than that - as well as making tatty clones of some vintage Yamaha guitars, they are currently taking advance orders for a Yamaha SG knockoff. Yamaha still produce the SG. Also a real, vintage SG1000 wouldn't cost a great deal more than this Chinese (or maybe Indonesian/Taiwanese)-made, inaccurate knockoff, and it's one of the most common models.

To be honest I really dislike Eastwood in general. Can't see these as anything other than cheap, mass-produced unlicensed copies being sold at eye-watering prices, presumably to gullible hipsters with more money than sense.

As far as the bass in the OP's concerned, you could make this yourself in half an hour from a Squier Bronco and a cheap guitar blade pickup - and still have enough change from £200 for a spare set of strings.

14 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Worse than that - as well as making tatty clones of some vintage Yamaha guitars, they are currently taking advance orders for a Yamaha SG knockoff. Yamaha still produce the SG. Also a real, vintage SG1000 wouldn't cost a great deal more than this Chinese (or maybe Indonesian/Taiwanese)-made, inaccurate knockoff, and it's one of the most common models.

To be honest I really dislike Eastwood in general. Can't see these as anything other than cheap, mass-produced unlicensed copies being sold at eye-watering prices, presumably to gullible hipsters with more money than sense.

As far as the bass in the OP's concerned, you could make this yourself in half an hour from a Squier Bronco and a cheap guitar blade pickup - and still have enough change from £200 for a spare set of strings.

It looks a bit better than a bronco to be fair and made from alder, rosewood, maple etc. but I’m not convinced it’s worth the price tag . I’d love to see a demo of it. 

4 hours ago, Quilly said:

It looks a bit better than a bronco to be fair and made from alder, rosewood, maple etc. but I’m not convinced it’s worth the price tag . I’d love to see a demo of it. 

Should hope it's better for that money, but not convinced! I prefer the maple board on the Bronc, but that's just personal preference.

Interesting that Eastwood claim the board on the WE is rosewood - in these days of CITES regs, it isn't very likely to be!

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Should hope it's better for that money, but not convinced! I prefer the maple board on the Bronc, but that's just personal preference.

Interesting that Eastwood claim the board on the WE is rosewood - in these days of CITES regs, it isn't very likely to be!

The latest from CITES is that international transportation of rosewood on musical instruments will now be exempt from restrictions.

8 minutes ago, Quilly said:

The latest from CITES is that international transportation of rosewood on musical instruments will now be exempt from restrictions.

Not yet they're not. The new proposals regarding rosewood will be voted on at the end of May, and if they're adopted, implemented 90 days later.

• 2 months later...