Why become a member? ×

SOLD Velvet Garbo G-D-A
£50

Rabbie

I bought this set used and I don’t have the E string because it arrived already unwound! I used the G-D-A strings on my “pub-gig” bass with a Spiro E and they did well for 3 months. I have changed them now because the bass stays at the gig to be used both my me and other bass players so I reverted it to a set of Spiros and a lower action.

As you know, all Velvet strings are quite expensive (I think €260 for a new set). They do have their characteristic sound I guess, but they are also undeniably more fragile than every other double bass strings on the market. These 3 strings, for the little use they had, already show signs of weakening windings: the G is totally fine, the D and the A have weakened windings at the pegbox. Now, this may well be totally normal with Velvet, but it does not happen with Spiros, so I have no idea how long they will last for, to be honest. So I put them on sale at a ridiculous £50 for all 3 strings. I think this will suit the Velvet Garbo user who wants some spares in the gig bag, or the curious string enthusiast who wants to give them a try without breaking the bank. Postage is included.

0BC2A5B6-1563-4509-BEC5-75FB70B7CDC7.jpeg

3D17C616-6529-445D-9AED-AB6364A20E7E.jpeg

0536B05E-5651-4909-A28E-AFC7564B6FEB.jpeg

Edited by Rabbie

PS - I looked back at the emails from the guy I bought them from and it seems the set was one year old, but only used for a couple of weeks on his bass. So, if that is true, these strings are 1year and 3 months old and they had around 4 months of use in that time.