Why become a member? ×

What pedal/effect is this.?

bubinga5

Which bit? If you mean that sound right at the start it sounds like a Fender Rhodes keyboard sound (I think), like Zep used on Trampled Underfoot. The bass player wasn't much into pedals and stuff so think the actual bass guitar is fairly 'straight'. CasaPete might shed more light, he's in an ELO trib.

Edited by KevB
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, KevB said:

Which bit? If you mean that sound right at the start it sounds like a Fender Rhodes keyboard sound (I think), like Zep used on Trampled Underfoot. The bass player wasn't much into pedals and stuff so think the actual bass guitar is fairly 'straight'. CasaPete might shed more light, he's in an ELO trib.

The line at the start. Im pretty sure its not a Rhodes. CasaPete please help.😀

You are never going to get close to the sound with a chorus pedal.

The clarinet has built-in phaser and was generally played through Wah pedals into valve amps.

So he is going to need a 70s style phaser, a distortion pedal which can give a hint of valve style dirt and a filter pedal with a built-in envelope follower. Listening to the track you can hear slight amounts of all three effects. Also the clarinet has a very sharp attack and decay which will require some precise plucking and muting to get the same definition of notes.

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The clarinet has built-in phaser and was generally played through Wah pedals into valve amps.

So he is going to need a 70s style phaser, a distortion pedal which can give a hint of valve style dirt and a filter pedal with a built-in envelope follower. Listening to the track you can hear slight amounts of all three effects. Also the clarinet has a very sharp attack and decay which will require some precise plucking and muting to get the same definition of notes.

Clavinets didn't have a built-in phaser (in the sense of Phase 90/Small Stone) but were often used in conjuction with one. Perhaps you are thinking of the four pickup combinations, some of which had the two pickups in or out of phase. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Deffo a clavinet, possibly with a dash of flanging.

Always have to be careful when using videos or TOTP clips to establish what instruments are used where. More often than not equipment was/is hired in for the video or TV which bears no resemblance to what was actually used on a track.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If you want to get that sound with a claranet, may I suggest one of these...

clar.jpg

😎

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

If you want to get that sound with a claranet, may I suggest one of these...

😃 
Coincidentally, the Clavinet has much of the same hollowness that a clarinet has. Much like a Renaissance regal, which, like the Clavinet, had a sharpness to it.

BTW, I now understand this song is from the seventies, in which case I know of no instrument that emulated a Clavinet this well.
IOW, this most probably is just an original Clavinet, and as said, with some filtering going on, and I agree with the dash of flanging @SteveK mentioned.

7 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

The line at the start. Im pretty sure its not a Rhodes. CasaPete please help.😀

Responded to a PM a few hours ago, sorry didn’t realise it was a thread too! Agree with previous comments - clavinet , doubled with bass in places? When we do it live we use a clavi type sound on keys, sounds near enough I think. I only double the riff for the ending for some reason! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casapete said:

doubled with bass in places?

Yes, and they play together very well.
In the song's opening, I only heard one spot where there's a slight discrepancy between them (didn't listen to the rest).
Quality.

If one gets a Clavi-like sound from a Future Impact or other gear, then I think the whole segment can be played on the bass, and there's no need at all to suppress the bass during the parts that on the recording are played by the Clavi only.
Me, I love this exact doubling, and had the song's opening on repeat. Luvverly.