Why become a member? ×

Bass setup in Edinburgh

lozkerr

Hi folks,

My Steinberger Spirit XT-25 is needing a wee bit of TLC. I've had it for a while as a travelling bass, and now that the newness has worn off, it's becoming apparent that it needs a decent set-up. The strings clatter like a tram going over a set of points, the action's high enough to drive said tram underneath the strings and the G string won't stay in tune.

Could anyone recommend someone knowledgeable in Edinburgh who could give it a set-up? I know what to do in theory, but I don't want to damage the thing and incur a hefty repair bill.

Many thanks,
Laura 

I used Bob Mould at Guitar Guitar in Corstorphine several years ago and he did a great job.  At the time I was travelling a lot with work (and not playing ... sadly still don't have time to play much) and found that my bass had been stored in the garden shed :/ ... it was a bit slimy, smelled damp and clattered a bit ... Bob sorted it all out for me!

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

The strings clatter like a tram going over a set of points, the action's high enough to drive said tram underneath the strings and the G string won't stay in tune.

Simple solution:

1 - pretend its a Rickenbacker;

2 - only play the 'E' string.

Works for me :)

• Haha 3

Thanks, folks! It sounds like Chris McIntyre is the guy to go to. I'll give him a call. And if he tries to flog me any extras - well, a thumb rest would be a good idea. The neck pickup is so deeply sunk into the body that it's next to impossible to anchor on it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Treeb said:

I used Bob Mould at Guitar Guitar in Corstorphine several years ago and he did a great job.  At the time I was travelling a lot with work (and not playing ... sadly still don't have time to play much) and found that my bass had been stored in the garden shed :/ ... it was a bit slimy, smelled damp and clattered a bit ... Bob sorted it all out for me!

Is that what he’s doing since Sugar and Hüsker Du? Fancy that  

• Haha 3

On 21/02/2019 at 15:08, lozkerr said:

In the garden shed?? That would be a hanging offence in my book!

'Twas a bit surreal - I managed to keep calm (my son was only five at the time and I didn't want to totally lose it in front of him) - I took the bass to Guitar Guitar to get it checked out straight away (I walked there to calm down - only 25 mins from me) and Bob assured me that it could all be easily sorted.  Was much calmer when I got home!

• Like 1

On 20/02/2019 at 14:30, Simon. said:

As Bigwan said - Chris McIntyre is the guy to go to.

The only problem with Chris is trying to avoid be seduced into getting any other work / a custom build done... 😀

I can see me ending up with one of his 50's P's... That green one is stunning! 

• 2 weeks later...

And - I've just sat down this evening after getting it back from him and I'm as chuffed as a very chuffed thing.

What a difference. Intonation's a gazillion times better, it feels much easier to play and the wee thumbrest he fitted is a beaut. Far less string clatter, too.

Not quite so impressed with the berk who strung it, though. Apparently it had strings for a 35" scale. On a 34" bass. Being double-balled, once the tuner's screwed down tight, that's yer lot. The daft cow who owns it didn't suss that out either.

But no matter. Chris has transformed it. It might even be good for metal... hmm, perhaps I'd best stop here 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1