Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GAS contracted

Sparky Mark

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 03:19, LennyP said:

Great rig! What type of music do you play? Are you through a FOH system? Passive or active bass? Interested to know how full it can get. Cheers, 

I play all originals, with an acoustic and an electric guitar and drums. Passive Ps and Js and a Hofner Beatle bass

I plan on using the single cab at small pub shows and coffee shops etc and use both for noisier gigs.

With one cab the Elf puts out 130 watts, but it's continuous not rms so i think the amp is louder than I expected.

Tone wise, it doesn't do an aweful lot to be honest, but I like a flat eq and it works ok. I have many pre amp pedals if I need any specific tone.

EDIT: found the Gator GP 40 bag fits the 10" cab with enough room for the Elf, cables, tuner etc :)

AMG-GP40.jpg

Edited by bazzbass

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Just snagged an excellent condition 1993 vintage no fan AH250SMX. Replaced the original insanely microphonic TE branded ECC83 with a new JJ and all is working perfectly.

20220308_144045.thumb.jpg.0d1156dac3e5104e1c38fdb481cf8e4d.jpg

Oooh very tidy. Congratulations 👏👏👏

• Like 1

Mine is the same model (non-fan) but has alas developed a fault on startup where there is no input signal for what could be 10 minutes, then it just comes in and works fine. 🤷🏼‍♂️  To be fair it is a bit of a triggers broom now and it certainly doesn’t owe me anything.

Thanks guys, yes it's been kept unused for the past few years so has had an easy life. I could barely touch the case without the valve making all sorts of terrible screeches. Possibly why it was retired. The lovely thing about the non fan versions is that the internals are dustless and preserved in the state they left the factory 30 years earlier.

20220308_152413.thumb.jpg.d71e78bcb4e3e5afe317295eb9a1b350.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

That's very nice - does almost look new.

I'm still getting 100% reliable use out of the SMX250 I got from you @Deedee and it works a treat with the pair of 1x12's I bought from you @Sparky Mark... small world init!

It certainly is a small world. Glad to hear your SMX is still well. I will be getting mine repaired again because ultimately I’ve still not found an amp that I like more.

Edited by Deedee

9 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

That's very nice - does almost look new.

I'm still getting 100% reliable use out of the SMX250 I got from you @Deedee and it works a treat with the pair of 1x12's I bought from you @Sparky Mark... small world init!

Hey that's great to hear. I made those to sit beneath my Ashdown MAG600 head so should be darn close to the correct width for your AH250SMX. 

It's funny really, I got hold of those cabs and that head just as I (re)started gigging after a very long layoff, and although I've tried quite a few different things over the subsequent years on the quest for 'something', I have always returned to them as they are just right for what I need... They make a sound I like, always have enough heft and are manageable enough to cart around to gigs and practices etc.

I can't think of anything I'd replace my TE head with either, and it does fit nicely on top of the cabs - it might be 2cm wider than an Ashdown MAG, but it doesn't look wrong at all.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

It's funny really, I got hold of those cabs and that head just as I (re)started gigging after a very long layoff, and although I've tried quite a few different things over the subsequent years on the quest for 'something', I have always returned to them as they are just right for what I need... They make a sound I like, always have enough heft and are manageable enough to cart around to gigs and practices etc.

I can't think of anything I'd replace my TE head with either, and it does fit nicely on top of the cabs - it might be 2cm wider than an Ashdown MAG, but it doesn't look wrong at all.

I used the excellent Eminence BASSLITE S2012 NEO speakers in those and I only moved them on because I didn't have space to store alongside my Bergantino single 12 cabs.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The lovely thing about the non fan versions is that the internals are dustless and preserved in the state they left the factory 30 years ago.

I've got a couple TE's non fan version, and I prefer them, they're quieter and lighter, (possibly because they're lower wattage), and like you say don't get full of sucked in gunk, never had any overheating issues with them

• Like 2

I just passed on a fairly mint AH250 GP12 SMX. 1993 vintage and sounded really quite something. Saying that my allegiance lies with the Series 6 AH200 GP12 as the defacto convection cooled 90's Trace Elliot armament. Sounds completely killer, no noisy cooling fans and kicks some serious butt for a 200 watt rated unit. The AH250 SMX has the same Hitachi mosfet output array as the AH200 but a slightly beefier heat sink and uprated transformer. There's not a great deal output wise of a difference or loudness between either amplifier. The major difference I noted was the dual band compressor and a bit more hiss from the tube pre-amp stage on the SMX. The tube stage is the one thing the SMX head has in its favour.  

1136300259_Screenshot2022-03-09at00_54_08.thumb.png.25c461a602b9ffc7c4204002fa3c06a6.png

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 00.54.49.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wright/watt said:

Just got this Trace Elliot Series 6 GP12 and 1220 Cab yesterday!

Sounds amazing! Condition like it has just come out of a time capsule! 

Very very happy bass player😃👍😃👍

IMG_20220313_122631.jpg

Brilliant rig. If this is the one I think it is, it was a little too far north (Stepps) for me. Plus it would've been my third AH200 and that awesome cab is too large for my car. The build quality of this vintage is amazing. 

• Like 1

Go a report today that one of the castors failed on my 1100 combo while being moved out of storage into the rehearsal room. Second time it's happened. Ordered some 360kg rated 75mm castors instead. I know they are meant to sound better on the floor, but be realistic!

Incidentally, I've found that it sounds less bottom heavy but much more balanced when at least a foot, preferably two from the wall behind it. Anyone else had similar experience (it's 4x10)