Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GAS contracted

Sparky Mark

I've got one of those Series 6 AH200's which I use as back up for my SMX GP12 AH250, both don't have cooling fans, is this an advantage or disadvantage? the cooling fins get fairly hot after 2 hour gig but not untouchable hot if that makes sense

• Like 1

An interesting (to me) thing is that the three heads I have mentioned above ( rated at 150, 200 and 250 watts ) all use the same quantity (and type I believe) of output transistors and heatsink. It may be that Trace Elliot were being (too?) honest about the 150 watts into the 8 ohm load of the four ten combo as apparently it delivered 200 (maybe even 250) watts with an 8 ohm extension? Nowadays most manufacturers seem to quote the maximum output of combos with an extension cab so as not to lose the spec comparison filters. 

I haven't used the Mk5 at volume yet but if it gets anywhere near as loud as the AH200 into a Bergantino HD210 cab then that'll be plenty. I reckon the 200 can output more too.

If I can get away without a fan filling the amp with dust and fluff and being audible at practice levels then that's better for me.

43 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Now I don't have time to gig etc (although I'm hoping this changes) I wish I'd kept my old GP12400SMX.

That amp was fantastic.

But, my word, it was SO heavy and awkward to move. 

my amps aren't too heavy about 13 Kg, an easy one handed lift, but I use an AH 600 at our rehearsal studio and that bugger's heavy, I wouldn't swap mine for a higher output TE, I've never run out of steam with my AH250 so why carry around the extra weight?

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

I used to have a fairly big TE collection consisting of two cabs (1028H and 1518), a GP7 SM300 1x15 combo, a SMX300 head and the mighty V6. 

I am down to just the V6 now. Heavy yes, but not as heavy as the Ampeg equivalent. It is about 25Kg and there is only one handle at the top so it technically 'is' a one handed lift. 

In terms of weight my considerations are usually on the basis of 'can I lift it and walk it 100 yards from the car to the venue and up a flight of stairs without dropping it?'. The V6 is close to the limit as a one handed lift, but the tone is worth it. Once I am over 40 or suffer from back problems I will perhaps reconsider. At the moment though I am enjoying the benefits of owning an old Volvo that can fit all kinds of cool, old and heavy bass gear.

Edited by thodrik
My spelling, grammar and punctuation is beyond rubbish
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

So another collection is looming 🙄. This time it's natural convection (no cooling fan) Trace Elliot heads. So far it comprises of a 150 watt Mk5 head extracted from a 1110 combo and a Series 6 AH200. I'm keeping them peeled for an AH250SMX now.

20190218_202700.thumb.jpg.8e6a86f3484a12fcfb39ac8cd3fc5a07.jpg

I recently picked up a ‘spares or repair’ AH250 SMX (non-fan). My main amp is the same but I also have a later 280 version which does have the fan. I do prefer the non-fan models purely because I’ve become used to the almost silent running. I think I’ll be getting the spare fixed up and then move the 280 on.

74C0964F-319A-419D-98A7-61DCB52923D3.jpeg

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 2

It's a terrible condition!

I've owned lots over the years - from memory:

• Boxer 30
  • 712SMC
  • 2103H
  • AH300SM
  • AH300SMX
  • 1048H
  • AH600SMX
  • V-Type 4808
  • V-Type V4 head (Mk2)
  • AH400SMX
  • 715 GP7 (late model)
  • Twin Valve combo

I'm currently still in possession of the V4 although everything else has come and gone. Pick of the bunch would be V4, the 400SMX and the Twin Valve although all three are lesser spotted these days.

I've also taken loan of a V6 at this time which is a lovely bit of kit and as expected, very much akin to the V4 but minus the compressor and drive facility..

• Like 2

On 21/02/2019 at 15:22, VTypeV4 said:

Twin Valve combo

Had a 90s from new (Bass Centre of course) - totally brilliant amp section, loved it. Gave it away in a moment of madness. That combo (built-in 15") with a 410 extension would give the new gen 500 watters a surprise I reckon. If you ever got inside a Trace head you'd see a fair bit of where the weight went - the massive output transformer. Wonderfully over-engineered, and very conservative output ratings. Bargains galore out there (though many are well road-worn). Maybe they'rs due for a comeback?

• Like 1

I've got a love of old Trace heads as well - mine are mostly 150 and 250 watt jobs, from different series and with different preamp sections. I really like the 150 watt ones with the GP11 preamp, which are also not really that heavy, and gutsy enough for most situations I find myself in. I've got a 250SMX (with fan) that I use for the occasional bigger room, but it's probably more vanity than necessity... the non-fan ones do get hotter to the touch, but like PaulWarning mentioned, not so hot as to worry about.

For now at least the prices on the old TE stuff are so good, that your collection could get big quickly... The only weakness I've really found on these are the switches for pre-shape and graphic, which are quite easily replaced, or just make sure you have a two-button footswitch (non-latching type) with the stereo 1/4 jack around to take care of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

You definitely don't need two AH250SMX heads! 😉

You’re right. For someone who’s not currently gigging 4 spare amps is a bit overkill!

Only issue is the two ‘working’ SMx’s appear to have recently developed minor faults otherwise I’d have been pming you re your wanted ad 🙄. I may now sell on the ‘spares or repair’ one requiring an output rebuild.

Still have this guy. Bought in 1993 when it was a year old. Incredible volume and punch. Also have an early Mk4 150w

Must say though that my favourite model was the MKV tonewise. Beautiful. A bit more middy but really cuts through. 

20170224_185205.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:02, Soledad said:

My GP7 head is fanned but I only use it at low levels at the mo. Anyone ever switched the fan - I mean add a micro switch on back panel to kill fan at low levels??

How about putting a thermal switch on the heatsink in series with the fan? Then, it will only come on when you're working the amp, and you wont worry about forgetting to switch it on yourself...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soledad said:

Neat, are they 12"? - one cab in each hand, amp in pocket, bass backpack... away we go ;)

no 10", 16 lbs, I literally can carry it with my weak pinky :)

and yeah, cab in one hand gig bag with amp in the other, bus it in to the city or easily in and out of cabs.

Edited by bazzbass

59 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

no 10", 16 lbs, I literally can carry it with my weak pinky :)

and yeah, cab in one hand gig bag with amp in the other, bus it in to the city or easily in and out of cabs.

Great rig! What type of music do you play? Are you through a FOH system? Passive or active bass? Interested to know how full it can get. Cheers,