Why become a member? ×

Anxieties with joining a ready made band - just me?

bigsmokebass

Hey guys and girls, 

I've recently been head hunted to join a band from someone who knew me from seeing bands I've played in before.

After a few failed attempts to get my own bands going over the past few years, I decided to give it a go at one practice with them and I seemed to get on well all the members and with a fair share of the songs on their list but I've been given about 40-50 songs to learn in all and no certain set list to follow. I've not always been an anxious person but over the last few weeks I've been struggling trying to learn these songs whilst doing what i do out of practice time. These guys have been playing just shy of 3 years and have got a really tight formation on the songs- from practicing over that time and they sound well but I worry about myself, often wonder if I'm letting them down with bum notes trying to remember all the songs and riffs correctly and once or twice sitting songs out I'm really not comfortable playing just yet. 

Has anyone else been in this situation? Is it normal to feel this way? Am I putting myself under a lot of pressure in such a short time to perfect so many songs? 

I'm off to practice with them again tonight, going to give it my all but going to try and sit down with them and at least come up with a setlist to make things easier for me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Hey guys and girls, 

I've recently been head hunted to join a band from someone who knew me from seeing bands I've played in before.

After a few failed attempts to get my own bands going over the past few years, I decided to give it a go at one practice with them and I seemed to get on well all the members and with a fair share of the songs on their list but I've been given about 40-50 songs to learn in all and no certain set list to follow. I've not always been an anxious person but over the last few weeks I've been struggling trying to learn these songs whilst doing what i do out of practice time. These guys have been playing just shy of 3 years and have got a really tight formation on the songs- from practicing over that time and they sound well but I worry about myself, often wonder if I'm letting them down with bum notes trying to remember all the songs and riffs correctly and once or twice sitting songs out I'm really not comfortable playing just yet. 

Has anyone else been in this situation? Is it normal to feel this way? Am I putting myself under a lot of pressure in such a short time to perfect so many songs? 

I'm off to practice with them again tonight, going to give it my all but going to try and sit down with them and at least come up with a setlist to make things easier for me. 

Nice one for getting headhunted!

The band wanted you to join & its taken them 3 years to get as tight as you say they have become, so I'm sure that they'll appreciate that it'll take you time to get up to speed & lock in with them.

Don't worry about bum notes etc. - everyone makes mistakes & worrying about it won't help you get there any quicker.

As you've said, speak to them at rehearsal & try to pin down what you should concentrate on - then at least you've got a chance.

But most of all, don't let the pressure get to you & enjoy it! :)

Good luck 👍

• Like 5

There always seem to be pressure to get things right first time - generally from ourselves.

If the band wants you to be the bassist they should accept it may take some time to get up to speed. I would suggest getting to know, say 10 tracks, well rather than 50 "badly".

Good luck

• Like 5

It's going to take a lot of time to get a 40-50 song set list learnt to a really good standard and playing it live will be the best way of really getting it nailed, I am sure some songs will come quicker than others, ask the band to give you a little more time on the ones you are struggling to nail by leaving them out of the set list for a couple of weeks?

• Like 1

A set list , for your regular 45 min set x two , will be around 10 - 13 tracks per set, ( say 20-26 all in ) give or take depending on how long they are and how much babble there is between songs.

Ask the band to make up the list for set 1 ,  and get that rehearsed, then again for set 2. They obviously have a lot of spares for longer gigs, or if they like to juggle the set lists about.

It's a bit much to throw 40-50 songs at you straight off. They'll need to be patient.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Being presented with 50 songs to learn is really daunting, I'd be feeling very similar to you.

I would definitely get them to agree to an initial set list of 10-20 you can get focussed on.  

Then I'd probably try and get the basic structure down for each and a feel for the main riffs, rather than learn each song as per recording .I'd then bring in what ever intricacies and variations may exist as I feel more comfortable.

Be open with them on how you are feeling, I'm sure they want to work with you on getting up to speed.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 3

Three years is no big deal, and should be easily surmounted. What you really don't want to do is to get involved with a band who have played together for 10 years or more, and where you'll always be the 'outsider'.

After three years together yes, they'll have stories to tell and shared experiences, but you have a fighting chance of becoming a fully paid-up member of the band.

Musically, their tightness works to your advantage. Your inevitable mistakes will do far less damage and they'll be able to carry you to a certain extent while you get up to speed.

• Like 5

What fretmeister said. Perfectly reasonable to ask them to prioritise a set list.

I worked out a rehearsal schedule for myself when I last joined a band. Knew which songs I was learning on which day, with a few rest days factored in. Aimed to have all done a week earlier than I needed them to allow for problems / time to work on them as a  whole set before the first gig. Worked like a charm. Showed the band the schedule so they knew which songs we could rehearse and when.

• Like 4

All good solid advice here and no need to put yourself under unnecessary pressure.

Look at the positives here. They headhunted you. They've seen you and they want you. You, my friend, are their choice out of all the other bass players out there.

Use that knowledge, use the adrenaline and enjoy the process of getting up to speed in a really good band who chose you to join them.

Itll be hard work - but anything worthwhile always is.

Have fun

• Like 3

I felt this way when I went into my current band. I went in initially as a medium term dep but signed on after a couple of months. I was concerned getting 40 numbers under my belt, I prioritised the ones with the most well known/distinctive bass lines and made sure the remaining would pass audience scrutiny. It was a good 15 gigs or so before all the numbers were at a standard I was fully happy with. Honestly, no one but me noticed.

• Like 3

I'm in the same position as you, just joined an existing band. Fortunately mine are better organised/more realistic and have given me time to learn the set. First gig with them is the last week in March. I really seriously doubt that they will play all 40 songs in one rehearsal 10-12 is more likely. I learned 17 for our first rehearsal ( I had about 10 under my belt already) The first list they sent me turned out to be an old set list with songs they'd dropped in recent gigs and they've now given me a 30 song set list for the March gig. Glad I hadn't wasted time on songs they'd dropped

I made sure that all the songs at the first rehearsal were ones I was confident with and a mix of easy and more complex songs. I wanted them to feel relaxed and confident with me and chose to stick to a few songs I knew would work rather than under-prepare a greater no of songs. I printed off a list of the songs I'd learned and bless them they just played through that list, if they hadn't it would at least have showed I was working hard and that i'm organised. 

I'm just running through this weeks list now and adding another 7 songs, I'm leaving the stinker until last; Tommy Cogbill's Son Of A Preacher Man, oh dear :)

Relax and enjoy it as much as you can, at a first run though with a new band just playing half a dozen songs that make you all smile will leave you and them feeling good about the world. Good luck

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3

I joined a band with a good reputation locally and similarly had a lot of songs to master. I knew most of the songs in general, few bits I wasn’t clear on, but knew I had to up my game with that band. Up until then I never used to practice bass at home, just playing what would do in whatever bands I was in, from then on I practised pretty much most days. And I’ve never looked back, so seize the opportunity and make the most of it, they chose you based on the abilities they’ve seen/heard, you’re up to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

After a few failed attempts to get my own bands going over the past few years

Putting a band together from scratch that fires up on all cylinders from the off is a big ask, and then putting a gig diary together for a completely new band becomes harder all the time.

Ask yourself if you're happy with what your new ready made band is doing in terms of:

- the type of material,

- the standard of playing,

- the type of gigs they are doing,

- their ages and personalities (as far as you can judge)

- their location - you don't want to be driving 60 miles each way just for a rehearsal

If you're happy, then this ready made band might be very hard work initially but if it works out you've potentially saved at least 18 months of blood, sweat and tears. And possibly frustration beyond belief!

The fact they've headhunted you is a massive plus, and any reasonable band of likeable people will certainly not be expecting a recording studio level of performance for a 1st gig. Playing with a good feel and locking in well with the drummer might be considered more important.

• Like 2

As everyone has said, they chose you and I'm sure they will be happy with what you play until you're fully up to speed, so don't worry. 

I was in a similar position with one of my current bands, they'd been asking me to join for a couple of years until I gave in after another band folded. I had around fifty songs to learn in a month, about ten of them being originals which they wanted me to write new/better basslines for. Quite intense but I got there, with some of them not being bang on but good enough to gig. 

A little story, if I may, about that situation which has always bugged me. The band is a Mod/Ska/Northern Soul band with a reasonable following and we suddenly had a request to support Neville Staple in Brixton in two weeks time, a proper result for a little band from Cornwall and Devon. Our singer turned it down as he didn't think I'd be up to speed with the original material despite me assuring him it wouldn't be a problem. I'd never supported a known artist at the time so was really quite miffed. 

Anyway good luck with learning the material and don't let it get to, it's supposed to be fun 👍

• Like 1

I would have thought that if they needed a bass player they would at least have a reasonable set list for you to learn. As a few previous replies have said, 50 is a joke. I'd bet money that even the Stones couldn't remember 50 of their tracks despite their age! 

Gig - time on stage = the amount of songs you need to and be expected to learn. What happens if they decide you are not for them? Or, far more importantly, what happens if they are not for you? There's a lot to think about there.

The pressure of 50 is far too much and no-one in their right mind would expect you to learn that many. If they do, I'd seriously think about what's in the future for you. Maybe you need to talk with them a bit more and express your concerns. Don't worry about missing the gig. If they are worth playing for, they should understand that you can't start any job and know everything but you are willing to learn and do it well. After all, you are only human!

If you fluently can learn 50  songs so quickly, get a job as a session musician and get paid decent money! 😀😀😀😀

It's possible - I've done it more than once - to "learn" that many songs over a weekend. But it'll be rudimentary to say the least. I would concentrate on writing out the basic chord charts and use those to prompt you. In many cases, root notes and some simple riffs will do just fine if you're under pressure. 

I've done plenty of gigs with a note of the chords taped to the back of the PA speaker 😄

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

[...]

I'm just running through this weeks list now and adding another 7 songs, I'm leaving the stinker until last; Tommy Cogbill's Son Of A Preacher Man, oh dear :)

[...]

Oooft, that's another "I could do it boss, but I'd have to charge by the note" kinda song.

This is why you have a gig with a probably great soul bad - and I definitely don't. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a pat on the back to be asked to join a band. If they think you're good enough, you are.

You just need time to settle in, but dumping 50 songs on you is a pretty thoughtless and unhelpful thing to do. Get the repertoire broken down into smaller chunks.

Don't get stressed, just remember. . . they want to play with you. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some fantastic comments made on here and I'm honestly choked up by ALL of the responses. Thank you all kindly and I've made note of all things mentioned to put into place.

I do partly blame myself, being a perfectionist and I know my anxiety can have a field day on that alone but this seemed something to have been bothering me, I felt quite against picking up the bass to practice this week, knowing with the pressure, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Not wanting to come across like a wimpy kid complaining "it's too much" either, if some of you already play that  many or more or if some of you guys are like @Ricky 4000, playing 'what is hip' then I'd have nothing to complain about 😂 but this is my first time for me actually joining a band, premade, with such a catalogue of songs to get on with- and no wonder I've felt this way by the reactions posted on this thread. 

*Update*

I went along tonight, felt a bit tense at first after a week of having these songs to conquer but in all fairness, we plugged in, tuned up and I was asked for what songs I wanted to do. I thought I'd just tell them to let me know what song and I'd do as best as I could to the songs they play. All went well, sat out another complex song but the rest all played well, a few bum notes but I actually enjoyed myself by the end of the night. 

We spoke about a setlist after I mentioned how many songs there were, feeling a little anxious about it. They had said in all respects that they sent me the list to know what to expect and that they've used certain songs for different gigs/events, venues and depending on what bands they were also playing with to make it work for them. We're going to make a setlist this week, drop a few songs off the list as well as adding a few new ones so we're all on the same page. 

I do feel less anxious about things now. Still quite a shock to the system but having put off playing this past week, I'm going to get back on it this week and try and do my best. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Oooft, that's another "I could do it boss, but I'd have to charge by the note" kinda song.

This is why you have a gig with a probably great soul bad - and I definitely don't. 😝

Probably more a case of 'most of the right notes mainly in the right places' 

TBH I'm looking forward to learning it but need the kick in the behind of a band waiting for me to nail it. One more step up the ladder if I don't slip up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Some fantastic comments made on here and I'm honestly choked up by ALL of the responses. Thank you all kindly and I've made note of all things mentioned to put into place.

I do partly blame myself, being a perfectionist and I know my anxiety can have a field day on that alone but this seemed something to have been bothering me, I felt quite against picking up the bass to practice this week, knowing with the pressure, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Not wanting to come across like a wimpy kid complaining "it's too much" either, if some of you already play that  many or more or if some of you guys are like @Ricky 4000, playing 'what is hip' then I'd have nothing to complain about 😂 but this is my first time for me actually joining a band, premade, with such a catalogue of songs to get on with- and no wonder I've felt this way by the reactions posted on this thread. 

*Update*

I went along tonight, felt a bit tense at first after a week of having these songs to conquer but in all fairness, we plugged in, tuned up and I was asked for what songs I wanted to do. I thought I'd just tell them to let me know what song and I'd do as best as I could to the songs they play. All went well, sat out another complex song but the rest all played well, a few bum notes but I actually enjoyed myself by the end of the night. 

We spoke about a setlist after I mentioned how many songs there were, feeling a little anxious about it. They had said in all respects that they sent me the list to know what to expect and that they've used certain songs for different gigs/events, venues and depending on what bands they were also playing with to make it work for them. We're going to make a setlist this week, drop a few songs off the list as well as adding a few new ones so we're all on the same page. 

I do feel less anxious about things now. Still quite a shock to the system but having put off playing this past week, I'm going to get back on it this week and try and do my best. 

That's a great result. Anxiety is an absolute beach, you have my sympathy, you did the right thing coming here talking about it and being open about it with the band. When you say it out loud you take the power from it.

Now you can enjoy yourself learning the songs. Keep us posted.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

What you really don't want to do is to get involved with a band who have played together for 10 years or more, and where you'll always be the 'outsider'.

This. Been in this situation more than once and I didn't stay around more than a year each time. Even with people I'd worked with 8 years previously, 2 of them had subsequently worked together constantly in the intervening years while I'd been through 2 or 3 bands in that time. So when they got into an issue on the bass front they headhunted me but I knew it was only a matter of time before they would want someone else in and it proved to be the case. As it happened I'd pretty much had enough by then anyway and wanted a new challenge myself.