Why become a member? ×

JV Precision for £475?????

Lozz196

More familiar with the earlier 'large Fender' JVs, but on the basis of the pics, on passing glance, this looks correct.  Need to look 'under the hood' to be sure though.  The headstock looks right and it doesn't look messed about.

Edited by martthebass

I messaged them when I first saw it but haven’t heard back. I’d like to see if the wiring is cloth with brass plates under the pickup. The knobs have been changed - usually on older JVs the chrome flakes off. It would look great in my collection but I’m miles from them ☹️

Looks the part from what I know. It's a strange reflection on something-or-other that the only thing that arouses suspicion, is the fact you'd expect it to be closer to twice that price.

And I imagine in a few weeks it'll be back - at twice that price. 9_9

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Looks the part from what I know. It's a strange reflection on something-or-other that the only thing that arouses suspicion, is the fact you'd expect it to be closer to twice that price.

And I imagine in a few weeks it'll be back - at twice that price. 9_9

I don't think it's going to take that long...  "ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" ;)

(Perhaps a member, then?)

I bought it last night. The seller demanded cash on collection rather than PayPal through eBay - weird. Avoiding fees perhaps?Anyway, nice 24/06/83 JV,  almost twin to my main P Bass. Everything looks legit down to the little “Fender piece of paper for the neck shim” stamped “6/83”. Well, couple of pickguard screws and the knobs are not original...

One of the nicest necks I’ve seen on a JV and surprisingly good nick comparing to the body. It does need a bit of work and isn’t really the cleanest bass I’ve seen, but it’s to be played, not sold. So... I doubt it’ll be back at double the price 🙂

3946AC32-9264-4173-BE15-8E8CE4B8F287.jpeg

412A18DF-597C-4635-8A8F-6B38B6C0BDBE.jpeg

B671D7FC-1C7D-4C3F-9B35-5076F7FF348C.jpeg

1DA266E3-4FD9-439F-A600-40933826B38F.jpeg

3B763FDD-F248-4B07-920B-42AD94082588.jpeg

3D1E0404-8A96-46F7-B410-2F0245972C97.jpeg

Edited by PawelG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I bought an SQ a few years back for a ton. But it wasn't in anywhere near as good condition as this. Still one of the best bass purchases I ever made. Unfortunately I sold it in a period of skint-dom and the guy won't sell it back! You live and learn...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PawelG said:

The seller said he bought it at a car boot sale 8-10 years ago for... £80!

I was about to tell you that you'd just got Bargain Of The Decade there, but just a close second, by the looks!

Have to say I'm really pleased it's gone to someone who wants to own/use it rather than a grubby gyppo who'd just flip it for a 50% markup. Like me. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

I bought an SQ a few years back for a ton. But it wasn't in anywhere near as good condition as this. Still one of the best bass purchases I ever made. Unfortunately I sold it in a period of skint-dom and the guy won't sell it back! You live and learn...

Think I paid about £120 for an SQ on Ebay, about 10 years ago - it arrived damaged (scratchplate bashed in) and needed a lot of cleaning, buffing out scratches & gouges and fettling to get it right. I'd still say that was the best P I ever owned, and had a simply gorgeous burst finish over beautiful book-matched timber. I sold that because basically that was a big part of how I was making a living back then, buying & selling old MIJ basses & guitars. Always regretted it a bit.

Speaking (loosely) of car boot bargains, around the same time I picked up a mid-80s E-serial Squier Strat at my local boot, for £75. As with the SQ, it needed a lot of TLC to make it nice. I had every intemtion of flipping that one, too, but made the mistake of recording with it - it's the most gloriously Stratty-sounding Strat I've come across. I've tried to sell it a few times since - but can't bring myself to do it! As I type this, it's hanging on the wall next to me, probably feeling smug. :D

• Like 1