Why become a member? ×

Fame (Mayones) 4 Fretless SOLD
£350

bigthumb

Up for grabs is my Fame fretless.

Selling to fund new amp gear. Now, I really don't know much about these basses. Some googling tells me that its a Fame Baphomet, handmade in Poland. Its VERY Warwick like with the curved body, same pickups and pre by the look of things. The body is just stunning, according to google the wood is amazaque. Neck is slim and fast and to me very comfortable. It feels more like an older Warwick than the newer ones. Fingerboard is ebony and unlined. Controls are Active/Passive (pull for passive), blend, and stacked bass/treble. New 9v battery just fitted. 

I love playing it although I'm no great fretless player. I bought it on a whim off ebay just because it looked so good and with great specification. 

Condition is excellent, there are a couple of tiny marks on it if you look very closely, my phone camera can't pick them up, the fingerboard has the usual marks from round wound strings. 

Collection only from St. Helens (Merseyside). I don't have a hard case for it, just a gig bag. I will not trust to couriers. I could meet up if not too far and no trade offers please. PayPal gift ok 

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Edited by bigthumb
  • Like 2

Yep, it's just not in the right place, needed to be south east, far away from Ireland ;)
Never played one but I really liked my Thumb NT (fretless again) and the Mayones looks an absolute match (except BO) - the body wood may be a tads brighter than bubinga too. I looked it up and depending on source, amazaque, or maybe amazique, possibly AKA ovankol although some say it's a close relative to ovankol...  bored yet?? :)

Still want it, just can't reach it.

Mayones used to be a small team in Gdansk, Poland who pretty much handmade small batches of instruments under the names of Flame, Fame and Zak (guitars and basses), the latter two exported outside of Poland so more expensive with better hardware, etc. - that was in the 1980s-90s. It seems it would be three times the price if it had the name starting with a W as its brand, and quite possibly were cheaper new than this is now - but in today's market this is an absolute steal, after all you've got here a vintage handmade Mayones.

GLWTS

PS. don't wanna sound like a smarta*** but if bigthumb is happy to ship then the buyer could simply order a new case (not that expensive) to his address and you got yourself a deal - ok, I'll shut up now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Soledad said:

OK kindly helpers - where the F are these ten quid cases then ?

Just go to a (friendly) guitar store and ask them do they have any bass boxes, they might give you one, they might even have bubble wrap.  They have to pay to dispose of this so you might be doing them a favour. Send to the the seller. The seller already has a gigbag.     

• Like 1