Why become a member? ×

Wireless PA controlled remotely by tablet

Happy Jack

Sorry for the thread hijack but can any of you Xr16/18 owners help with why ours doesn't retain the IP address settings when connecting to an external router?

Connect via built in WiFi on iPad

Change to DHCP (not 'S')

Click Apply

Move switch to Ethernet

Connect iPad to router SSID 

And the XR18 never shows up...scanning IP addresses on that network from another device doesn't even show it on a random address/range.

Thanks!

How long are you giving it? I think mine has taken a good few minutes from booting and connecting everything to appearing the the X-Air App. 

Now my external router and xr18 are racked and wired II'll just give it power and wait. And wait. And wait. And voila! And subsequent connections don't take half as long. It's like the thing that's taking the time is the router initially shaking hands with the XR18, but once it does its fine.

4 hours ago, Moos3h said:

Sorry for the thread hijack but can any of you Xr16/18 owners help with why ours doesn't retain the IP address settings when connecting to an external router?

Connect via built in WiFi on iPad

Change to DHCP (not 'S')

Click Apply

Move switch to Ethernet

Connect iPad to router SSID 

Is the router providing an IP address here?

Is the IP address not tied to the interface (ie, on ethernet connection is it still dhcp?)

Moos3h: If today's learning curve for Silvie & me also works for you, then the sequence is -

1. Connect your iPad via the XR18's in-built wifi as usual, load up the app.
  2. In Setup, change to DHCP (do not enter any IP addresses or anything else), Apply box goes green, click Apply.
  3. Switch everything OFF.
  4. Move selector switch to Ethernet.
  5. Run ethernet cable from laptop to main WAN/LAN port on the external router.
  6. Run ethernet cable from XR18 to any remaining unused port on the external router.
  7. Switch on the router and WAIT for it to complete its start-up sequence ... this can be 2/3 minutes.
  8. Once the router is running properly, power up the XR18 and the laptop.
  9. Use the laptop to access the router using the password on the bottom of the router; be sure to disconnect from your home wireless (or similar) FIRST if your laptop has auto-connected.
  10. Once the laptop is connected to the external router, load up the app on your laptop.
  11. In Setup go to Connections, you should find that your XR18 has already appeared as the only item in the list.
  12. Link to the XR18 and click Mixer to PC - Hallelujah!
  13. Now that you've got everything up and running by using the laptop, power up your iPad and connect to the external router using the same password as for the laptop.
  14. Once the iPad is connected to the external router, load up the app on your iPad, repeat steps 11 and 12.

Having used the laptop as 'scaffolding' to build your connection, you should find that you don't need the laptop again. Next time you can just power up the router and the XR18 and your iPad will find the router just like any other login sequence.

BUT having the laptop hardwired to the router next to you on stage is the ultimate insurance policy against wifi problems. If the wifi fails, or the iPad fails, then you carry on regardless by treating the laptop exactly as you would a normal desk.

2 hours ago, Moos3h said:

Thanks all. Ill give that a go. I wasn't rebooting the unit before switching to Ethernet. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong! 

Helpful as always - ta!

At home I'll often boot mine up in 'gig mode' wherein it's set to ethernet in order to use the router in the back of the rack, I'll then switch it over to wifi client so that it can access my home wifi (and I can use it on my desktop for recording or whatever) and I don't reboot. I also do the opposite at gigs sometimes. It seems to work fine.

I have no idea how relevant that is, but I don't have to reboot when switching modes.

Yup, my recommendation was entirely empirical, as in "this worked for me, so it might work for you". 

Nothing I wrote should be misinterpreted as suggesting that I know what I'm doing.

I wish, I really wish that last sentence was intended to be funny, but actually it's merely an accurate observation.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, my recommendation was entirely empirical, as in "this worked for me, so it might work for you". 

Nothing I wrote should be misinterpreted as suggesting that I know what I'm doing.

I wish, I really wish that last sentence was intended to be funny, but actually it's merely an accurate observation.

:)

You'll notice that my post was similarly non-committal.....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update: we're doing well with the Behringer XR18, but we decided to upgrade the app to the Pro version after noticing a couple of glitches. In our case, some settings weren't being updated on the tablet after being changed on the computer (despite the wireless connection being fine), and channels occasionally muted or unmuted themselves without me touching the relevant button.

The pro app is not free, but is, we understand, very customisable - we need to explore that, because things would be a lot easier if I could have all the sliders and controls used by each band on one single page - and save each band's setup separately - as opposed to having to switch between two or even three pages for each band.

To Be Continued... :)

Heh, I run 'drums and percussion' channels on one page and 'musos' on another, also use the grouping functionality to be able to turn the percussion as a whole up or down.

There are 6 monitor mixes running as well (3 IEM 3 wedges). One of those (Keys IEM) has recently moved to one orf the natty Ultranet devices, which means I nolonger have any idea what he's doing in his mix, and don't care a jot, its excellent! Rather wish I could get one of them for myself to be completely honest, but they aren't cheap.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

Heh, I run 'drums and percussion' channels on one page and 'musos' on another, also use the grouping functionality to be able to turn the percussion as a whole up or down.

There are 6 monitor mixes running as well (3 IEM 3 wedges). One of those (Keys IEM) has recently moved to one orf the natty Ultranet devices, which means I nolonger have any idea what he's doing in his mix, and don't care a jot, its excellent! Rather wish I could get one of them for myself to be completely honest, but they aren't cheap.

They're coming down - P16M currently 171 at Bax,

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1