Why become a member? ×

Tell me TWO things you like about this...

TheGreek

1 - The fact that unlike most other knocked-it-up-in-the-shed home-made basses, the body looks like it's been designed, rather than just chewed up and gobbed out.

2 - The headstock is utterly incongrous and not a single element of its design has any had consideration for actual functionality. Which is properly hilarious.

I like it  :)

Blimey,  £215 winning bid. I've seen stacks of overpriced badly built ' specials '   and for a lot more moolah.

Cosmetic looks are too personal, so a pointless debate.  Meat and poison, but  it could play like a demon. No one here knows.  Shame its a 5 er

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I like it  :)

Blimey,  £215 winning bid. I've seen stacks of overpriced badly built ' specials '   and for a lot more moolah.

Cosmetic looks are too personal, so a pointless debate.  Meat and poison, but  it could play like a demon. No one here knows.  Shame its a 5 er

There was 0 bids on it, the neck also looks like it's wonky. Maybe half a dozen more neck screws bolts would sort it out?

s-l1600.jpg

I missed the zero bids  :)

But still, if £215 would have bought it,   nowt wrong with that price

I've seen photos that slightly change the perspective of things, so the neck is probably straight, and just a quirk of the photo.

I do believe that string height can be adjusted

Edited by fleabag

The knobs themselves appear to have been pulled off a 1980s hi-fi.

Not sure what's meant to be wrong with the neck bolts, apart from the overkill - I assume they're allen-head machine screws attaching to threaded inserts in the neck. I think Allprats or somewhere like that sell these for modifying standard Fender type screw/plate fittings.

I'd guess the odd bolt layout is because he originally intended to shave down & shape that very square/sharp-cornered back of the pocket, but then couldn't be ar$ed.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

1. The fact that the G string is miles away from the edge of the fret board (the same cannot be said for the B string)

2. It has one of the most impressive string break angles I've ever seen (must be a joy to tune)

Screenshot 2019-02-27 at 07.12.00.png

1. It looks right to me, based on the nut slots; of course, the angle of the photo makes it appear off.

2. Yes, crikey! Can you tune that?