Why become a member? ×

Mathew Street Liverpool

mr zed

My band is playing a gig on Mathew Street in Liverpool in a couple of weeks. Not played there before and it's pedestrianised. I know loads of bands play there so shouldn't be a problem but what's it like for loading/unloading? Is there anywhere to park? We have quite a bit of gear and the thought of taking bits out of the car and leaving the rest unattended whilst we trundle across town doesn't sit well. Anyone played there that has any tips?

Cheers all.

Hiho,as stated check what the venue has.I play with a Preamp/DI box,no amp unless it,s the cavern who have there own backline.A handcart is a good bet as well.If the bollards are down you can take a chance but they might go up before you leave and your stranded apart from that enjoy.Parking is a bit of a lucky bag.

ps what venue is it I,ve played a few of them.

• Like 1

You're best trying to find somewhere to park on Victoria Street and then walk down Temple court with it.  There's a new multistory car park a bit further down on Victoria Street (if you check Google maps it's where there used to be a load of trees).  Not sure how late it's open, but it's only a couple of blocks away.  Parking is a pain in town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unknown_User said:

You're best trying to find somewhere to park on Victoria Street and then walk down Temple court with it.  There's a new multistory car park a bit further down on Victoria Street (if you check Google maps it's where there used to be a load of trees).  Not sure how late it's open, but it's only a couple of blocks away.  Parking is a pain in town.

Thanks for this. It quite an early one - 6pm - 9pm so the multi-story could be an option.

I'd aim for this spot here, stick your hazards on and do shifts staying with the car while you ferry stuff in - that's likely to be the shortest walk to Flanagan's. I've pulled a van up on the pavement there when loading kit in to another venue nearby. The parking advice you've already had is spot on. On street parking free after 6pm in designated pay and display spots, or the new multistorey just around the corner. The traffic wardens are still out of a night enforcing taxi ranks etc so I'd not chance it anywhere that isn't a proper space. 

• Thanks 1

We did McCooleys in Concert Sq last June, booked the following week for McCooleys in Matthew St.

We did the 1st one, then cancelled the 2nd one.

YOU REALLY NEED to keep somebody with the vehicles, especially at finishing time. I'm simply too old to be lugging gear 400 yards, stepping over trainee corpses.

It was a fabulous gig though! Enjoy.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, goingdownslow said:

I won't play in Liverpool town centre and it is my city.

Oh dear....never played in Liverpool before and we have 2 gigs coming up - one at Flanagans as mentioned above and one at the Peaky Blinders bar. Looking forward to both apart from the logistics. Played in Manchester city centre a few times and they were a nightmare. Great gigs though!

23 hours ago, mr zed said:

Oh dear....never played in Liverpool before and we have 2 gigs coming up - one at Flanagans as mentioned above and one at the Peaky Blinders bar. Looking forward to both apart from the logistics. Played in Manchester city centre a few times and they were a nightmare. Great gigs though!

We played Peaky's last summer and the area outside is pretty much pedestrianised, so the load in isn't great.  Decent venue but the stage is very small.  Take plenty of multiplugs as well if I remember rightly!