Why become a member? ×

FS Fender Jazz bass 1973/1974-on hold
£2500

wombatboter

I once got this Fender in exchange for a fretless Wal I had to offer but sold it a couple of years ago (the continuing GAS for other things).

I missed a good seventies Fender so around a year ago I had the chance to buy it back and I did..

Because of a bicycle accident (of which I’m still recovering) I haven’t played it too much and I feel that other basses like my Ken Smith suit me better (humbuckers make it easier to rest on in my case).

This bass has its dings and dongs and has seen stages and rehearsal rooms but it sounds like it should do…It has a Jaco-ish growl and a funky slapsound.

It’s as good as original apart from one intonationscrew in the bridge (G string) and a couple of screws for the pick ups…

3 tone sunburst, alder body, maple neck, rosewood neck, blocks and binding, pearl inlays..

Serialnumber 38xxxx (neckplate) refers to 1973/74 (your bass was made at the Fullerton Plant (Fender CBS era), USA in 1973-1974) Date on the pots refers to 1974)

The neck shows the mark of “Herb G” but no date…Herb G refers to Herb Gastellum, a worker at the Fender factories in the beginning of the seventies…(I’ve got this information from the previous owner since I don’t like taking basses apart, I would have to go to a luthier to do that ànd have a new set-up)

This comes with a non original case (shipment to the UK included).

Not really looking for trades, thanks..

No Paypal please, I’ve tried it a couple of times and the fees and the exchange rates they handle made me lose more money than I had…I would prefer an international bank transfer.

Feel free to check my feedback here on Bass.chat.

The bass can also be picked up but I live near Brussels in Belgium… I’ve got nothing to hide so always welcome if you would like to combine it with a trip to Belgium (pre-Brexit..)

I’ve made a small video with the fingerstyle and the slap sound.

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions I’m at your service and hopefully I can answer them…

fender en stein 008.JPG

fender en stein 007.JPG

fender en stein 006.JPG

fender en stein 009.JPG

fender en stein 010.JPG

fender en stein 011.JPG

Edited by wombatboter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bakerster135 said:

Bullets and three-bolts started to appear in '74 so all legit

That's correct. My own bass is early to mid 1974, and it has a 4 bolt neck, and they bought out the 3 bolt neck, bullet truss rod jobbie from mid to late 1974.

It's also very common for Fender to use old parts off the shelf. This particular bass for sale has a 1973 neck plate, long G screw (like mine has). So assuming the parts are original I would say this bass was put together in late 1974 IMO. GLWTS

Edited by clarkpegasus4001
  • Like 2

Previous owner here 😉 Great bass on which I happily played every recording and stage for 10 years straight. Now more into P bass, but that is the only reason I sold it. Wombatboter is a very nice guy and legit seller!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

3 bolts necks were introduced in 1971, but they only appeared on the Jazz Bass by late 1972 and were never fitted on the Precision Bass.

The longer G string intonation screw is period correct.

And this is a 1974 one.

Nice one that said.👍

GLWYS.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2019 at 21:56, Hellzero said:

3 bolts necks were introduced in 1971, but they only appeared on the Jazz Bass by late 1972 and were never fitted on the Precision Bass.

The longer G string intonation screw is period correct.

And this is a 1974 one.

Nice one that said.👍

GLWYS.

My understanding is that Fender didn't start using the three-bolt on Jazz Basses until 74, but some of the early ones had old Telecaster Bass neck plates with 72 serial numbers? I've seen a lot of 70s JBs and never ever seen a black block neck/three-bolt combo!

Could be totally wrong though, many strange things happened during the CBS period 😉...

I wrote a mémoire about the subject, Fender started to use the 3 bolts neck on Jazz Basses by late 72, but you can find 4 bolts neck Jazz Basses until 75... :crazy:

Ask Marcus Miller.

• 2 months later...
On 18/02/2019 at 19:31, clarkpegasus4001 said:

That's correct. My own bass is early to mid 1974, and it has a 4 bolt neck, and they bought out the 3 bolt neck, bullet truss rod jobbie from mid to late 1974.

It's also very common for Fender to use old parts off the shelf. This particular bass for sale has a 1973 neck plate, long G screw (like mine has). So assuming the parts are original I would say this bass was put together in late 1974 IMO. GLWTS

I had a 75 "6" serial number with a 4 bolt and bullet 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...