Why become a member? ×

Advice on removing finish + pick-up suggestions

Cicero

Greetings all

I'm looking to strip this back and leave it with a natural finish. I'm also looking to switch out the pickups. This is a relatively inexpensive Washburn that, until recently, was gathering dust (for close to 16 years). It still has the original strings! Which, incidentally, I love. In fact, the bass plays very nicely, all things considered, but the pickups could do with an upgrade.

Firstly, would a heat gun work on removing this finish? If not, what other options should I consider?

Secondly, what is the best way to get the most out of the natural wood? Tips on finishing/oil/tints?

Thirdly, I've seen some Aguilar pickups that seem as though they might be a good replacement. Any others that might be worth considering?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190217_232806.thumb.jpg.bc6477e4cdba115b3503ebcb575e3e8e.jpg

Edited by Cicero

A heat gun will work, but is fraught with danger.  The difference between the layer of paint coming off and a big burn mark on the body is fine line.  Dont try and and do it fast with the gun too close.  Take it easy, be careful how you scrape off the melting paint. Scraper used forwards is easy to put a dirty great gouge in the wood.  Better to use the scraper backwards.  Just  IMO, of course.

The luthier guys here might have much better info

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Why not sell it and get something you like the colour of? You are almost bound to reduce resale value to nil or close to it if you do what you intend.

I'd get virtually nothing for it, and rather want to hold onto it. Resale isn't really a consideration. I'd just like to experiment a bit, and an inexpensive guitar is a good place to start, I guess.