Why become a member? ×

SOLD Vintage V4 Reissued "Tony Butler - alike"
£175

troubadour

It's with a very heavy heart that I offer this up for sale. So soon after acquiring it as well. It's my ideal bass in every respect (p-bass, black, maple, chunky neck, top quality etc.) bar one. The weight, it's just too much for my feeble and aged frame.

I bought the bass a month ago off a well known auction site, the details are still up there if you search completed listings for item 183639229142. The seller described the condition as "new". It wasn't, the strings were dead, it was dirty and there were a few marks to the body. However, not complaining, it was still pretty good and I was happy to get it.

I've now cleaned it and set it up with a new set of Fender 7350Ms. it's playing and sounding great. But I did band practice with it this week and my shoulder still hasn't recovered. It weighs, what some might consider reasonable, 4.24kg (9.35 lbs). Anything over 8.5lbs and I'm struggling nowadays.

Pictures below. There is one question I can't answer though. To all intents and purposes this is the V4MTB apart from the headstock doesn't say Signature Series and bear his name. AFAIK JHS don't otherwise offer the V4 with black body and maple neck so I'd love to know the story behind this one.

Last thing, at the moment, this has to be collection from Skipton, though I am prepared to drive out a fair distance to meet you if needs be.

[Edit to add - about the marks - there are a couple of very small dings bottom edge and a bit of very light surface scratching rear of body. Neither would photograph. Any marks you can see in the pictures are reflections.]

V4TB01.jpeg

V4TB02.jpeg

V4TB03.jpeg

V4TB04.jpeg

V4TB05.jpeg

V4TB06.jpeg

V4TB07.jpeg

V4TB08.jpeg

V4TB09.jpeg

V4TB10.jpeg

V4TB11.jpeg

Edited by troubadour
and now sold, thank you
  • Like 6

It looks like you have a regular V4 maple neck on there, which is a good thing in my book. It's the same neck minus the very yellow vintage tint. 

Just a thought - if you really like that bass then a set of Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB640 will be a direct fit and shave off half a pound. It will feel like more though as the bass will balance sooo much better.

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, miles'tone said:

. . .  a set of Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB640 will be a direct fit and shave off half a pound. It will feel like more though as the bass will balance sooo much better.

Would help no doubt, thank you. Most of the weight does feel like it is in the body though and at practice I thought it well balanced.

Hi, just looking at photos - is there a split in the body where the neck has been put in? Or is that just light reflection?

Also, does the tone knob work? For some reason I remember somewhere about the tone being disabled on tb models?

Thanks.

On 17/02/2019 at 21:05, miles'tone said:

It looks like you have a regular V4 maple neck on there, which is a good thing in my book. It's the same neck minus the very yellow vintage tint. 

Just a thought - if you really like that bass then a set of Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB640 will be a direct fit and shave off half a pound. It will feel like more though as the bass will balance sooo much better.

I wasn’t aware that Vintage produced a maple neck without the vintage tint. The newest models with the matching headstocks have non-tinted necks but I think all the older ones are tinted. Certainly the one on my white one is

649A6F99-AF8C-428F-A615-A63515003A87.thumb.jpeg.c3b2e88b3716f82d60bedf6af23a4418.jpeg

3 hours ago, la bam said:

Hi, just looking at photos - is there a split in the body where the neck has been put in? Or is that just light reflection?

Also, does the tone knob work? For some reason I remember somewhere about the tone being disabled on tb models?

Thanks.

I can't see where you mean but there are no splits in the body so it must be the light. The tone knob definitely does something!

2 hours ago, MoJo said:

I wasn’t aware that Vintage produced a maple neck without the vintage tint. The newest models with the matching headstocks have non-tinted necks but I think all the older ones are tinted. Certainly the one on my white one is

I think my neck is actually tinted, it just got away with a very light tint. How it ended up on a black body is still a mystery though.

8 minutes ago, la bam said:

Hi, it's this area on the photo, thanks.

Very difficult to photograph the shiny black body on a sunny Skipton day without picking up reflections. Please rest assured the only faults to the body are those marks I declared in the OP. Meanwhile hopefully these two are a bit better:

V4TB08a.jpeg

V4TB08b.jpeg

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic