Why become a member? ×

F hole covers

AndyBass

Hi, my second f-hole related post in a row...having found I got loads fewer feedback issues when I stuffed my f holes with foam, does anyone recommend/make something a little more sophisticated (ie as effective but not as rubbish looking)? I see they have some on Thomann but £55 + postage seems like a very costly solution for something that still needs you to cut it to size yourself. Decided against going mag as blocking the holes did the trick and I don’t have the cash to mess about with new kit, so that’s not really an option. Thanks for any suggestions

I also have the f-its. Can't speak highly enough about them. Yes, they're £65 but once they're bought, they're bought and they'll last a lifetime. Perfect fit (so long as you take a little care with the rubbing). They also come in handy for quiet practice at home as they lower the overall volume acoustically......errr obviously lol. Great product and the guy who owns the company is very helpful.

23 hours ago, TPJ said:

Are these any good? 

I think Artisan used to use these when he played loud DB. 

I have these - they're effective enough but don't fit particularly well and are a bit rough looking close up.  Mine were significantly cheaper than they are now and if I had to chose between £64 for the Duke covers from Thomann or  F-its at the same price, it would be f-its all the way.

In fact, i might have some F-its made anyway...

Thanks for the input folks. Yeah I think feedback and botched home made solutions have got me to the point where £65 seems ok, unfortunately the gent who makes f-it’s has a notice on his site saying he’s too busy with stuff at the minute. Maybe I’ll botch more home made solutions until he’s back up and running then

What Paul said^^^^ People will tell you its your pre-amp, soundpost, EQ, Set up...Bla! Bla!.. but playing with a loud drummer and guitarist on small stages will always become a problem for Upright Bass, F-hole covers help a lot. Make your own. I used a masking tape template over F-holes, pencil rub the outline, cut the outline and stick it to some gardeners Foam Kneeling Pads. then using a scroll saw cut out the outline. Cheap and it works.

IMG_4085.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blartfactor10 you are a genius. I've just made up a set of these and it works perfectly. I found with a sharp modelling/craft knife I could just stick the tape onto the foam and cut the outline through the foam and the masking tape at the same time. Stops the tape sticking to itself and me 🙂.

Yeah that’s similar to the solution I used yesterday - pair of £3 flip flops cut to shape with a Stanley knife. Can’t get the top and bottom right tho so just masking tape those bits. Played on a cramped stage next to a big amp with no PA support last night and deafened everyone with no feedback. But maybe I’ll upgrade to a better home-made solution when the kids are grown up and i have more than 5 minutes peace, so thanks for the tips 👌

• 4 weeks later...

Dribble.  Still regret selling my S9, it was immaculate. Later than yours though ... 65 maybe.

I held onto a '38 M2 instead because it has more stories to tell. But S9s do have a certain bling to them.

And I couldnt justify having 2 Kays AND a Mortone ;o)))  (not to my bank anyway...)

More pics please!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally got around to ordering a set of F-its. The fit and finish is very impressive, especially compared to the Duke bass mutes. I haven't tried them in anger yet, but have a couple of gigs next weekend where I can give them a good seeing to.

Bob's service is second to none, highly recommended.

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

I finally got around to ordering a set of F-its. The fit and finish is very impressive, especially compared to the Duke bass mutes. I haven't tried them in anger yet, but have a couple of gigs next weekend where I can give them a good seeing to.

Bob's service is second to none, highly recommended.

Quick tip... dont leave them in. Rubber has a habit of retaining its shape over time. If you take them out between gigs they will be a tighter fit than if permanently squashed in place...

• Like 2