Why become a member? ×

Bass project

PaulRicho

Hi all, I hope I’ve put this on the right forum. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. As with all my basses and friends of mine I set them all up and quite enjoy it. Lately I’ve had an urge to start a project of modifying a bass and having a go at changing everything. I’m a carpenter by trade and enjoy messing around with wood so modifying the body and cutting out for new pickups would be fun. My question is have any of you guys any experience at doing this and what bass would you recommend to start on?Any advice would be appreciated and I’ll be taking pictures of it as I go along.  As this is my first project I would like to breathe life into a cheap bass and add new finishes and pickups to it and see what happens. Thanks 😊

• Like 1

I'd start on a Precision copy to 'practice' on. That way you can add an additional pick up at the rear (P/J) or change the original split coil for whatever you fancied (a soapbar, MM etc). If it all goes a bit Pete Tong at the neck pickup, you can at least hide all the evidence under the scratchplate!

Edited by Deedee
typo