Why become a member? ×

Limelight Coming Soon

Hobbayne

That looks lovely. I bet you are well happy.

I might need to go down the Limelight route as I just can't find what I want of the shelf. May I ask what the ball park price is for say a Limelight Jazz? Ard we talking around a grand or a couple of grand or more?.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

That looks lovely. I bet you are well happy.

I might need to go down the Limelight route as I just can't find what I want of the shelf. May I ask what the ball park price is for say a Limelight Jazz? Ard we talking around a grand or a couple of grand or more?.

My Precision was £956 plus £20 P&P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hobbayne said:
12 hours ago, Kevsy71 said:

I agree - here's my old Limelight Sonic Blue P, and compare the pickguard to the white paper underneath:

imageproxy.jpegYes that makes all the difference When compared with a white background. Lovely bass did you sell it?

Sadly so; I can't recall exactly why but I really miss it! It had my favourite flatwound tone of any P I've owned :)

1 minute ago, ped said:

Genuine question - not trying to stir anything up - but how can Limelight sell these new with the Fender logo on them - are they genuine Fenders that have been 'modified' by them, or what?

It's a very good question. I have absolutely no idea, but it doesn't seem to faze them, so presumably they're on solid ground... somehow.

Well, I asked Mark to put a period correct (1963) logo on it. Theu usually come with a LImelight logo.

Its basically a replica, but it has the limelight serial number on the back of the headstock.

It would however, be illegal for me to sell this as a genuine Fender.

That looks minted @Hobbayne, really liking the look of that, it's certainly not helping my current GAS for a Limelight build of my own of late...nice light relic too, I'm no fan of the relic overkill in general, but that level I could certainly live with...

I'm looking for similar to your build, but in Fiesta Red and with a maple neck, a la JE's Frankenstein mid-70's refin...👍

• Thanks 1

Wondering how he does the aged 'minty green' s'plate? They do go an odd shade which I'd say would be really hard to replicate - looks good though.

An affordable way to get the lived in feel, like fine vintage Levi's 👍

p.s. re comments about a tort plate - isn't the white correct on this body colour for a 64 anyway? To me, a tort would just look like a swapped plate or a sunburst with a refin.

Edited by Soledad

Just from @Soledad's comment above made me wonder...is there anywhere online for a definitive resource for period specs of Fender basses from various eras? 

I always read on here comments saying this, that or the other about what each period model would have had, however I genuinely couldn't tell you one 'vintage' model spec from an other...aside from just what I know I like...😁

Edited by lou24d53

13 hours ago, Soledad said:

Wondering how he does the aged 'minty green' s'plate? They do go an odd shade which I'd say would be really hard to replicate - looks good though.

An affordable way to get the lived in feel, like fine vintage Levi's 👍

p.s. re comments about a tort plate - isn't the white correct on this body colour for a 64 anyway? To me, a tort would just look like a swapped plate or a sunburst with a refin.

I'm guessing, Mark buys a mint green pickguard and relics that.

11 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

is there anywhere online for a definitive resource for period specs of Fender basses from various eras?

Good question, I'm not aware of one but given the interest and research out there (various fan forums etc) you'd think such info will exist.

Here's what I know and best recall - in the early 70s I was a kid who absolutely yearned for a Precision. Closest I got was the big stores anywhere near, the secondhand basses of 60s vintage hanging on the walls out of reach (they were only say 8 years old then, no big deal) and the brochures. Back in those days the 60s Ps weren't modded or messed with, nobody bothered. Some got beat up a bit, but they were straight.
What I very clearly remember was the basses of this period (around 64s) were either burst with tort, or one of the few colours offered, with white plate. I have no recollection of black plates in that period (doesn't mean they didn't do them, just never remember one). I remember seeing the first paisleys in Leeds - there was a shop window with an imprint of my face on it.
I do remember the list price in (I think) 67 - cos I got an old brochure from a dealer in Leeds some years later as a gift - guy on front holding a red Jazz, standing by a Bassman (100?) and a tall cab, maybe a 215 but don't recall. The Precision list in around '67 was £168.19.10 (yep, 19 shilling and 10 pence). Around '71 I paid 125 for my first (a 68), then 95 for my beat-up second (a 60) then 105 for the lifer, my '64 in blue with WHITE plate.

Personally I don't know where all these plain colour 60s Fenders with tort plates came from. Certainly in the period I was obsessed with, tort was unique to sunburst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1