Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson. The Jackson's.

bubinga5

Specifically this Jackson's record. When I first heard this I was blown away by the bassline. The chromatic lines he plays in a lot of stuff is so fantastic.  Love the way he surrounds the chords with that bouncing bassline. There is not a boring note he plays. Its always something interesting and so for the music. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

I think muting foam and a high action had a lot to do with his sound. There is no denying that he was very gifted though. It's just such a shame he did not live longer. I always got the impression they berry Gordy didn't really give much of a toss about those blokes playing for him.. From the stuff I have read and heard about Jamerson he could test the patience of a saint and was very stubborn. Although I wasn't there so this is all hearsay.

1 hour ago, YouMa said:

I always got the impression they berry Gordy didn't really give much of a toss about those blokes playing for him.

I think Motown valued Jamerson very highly. He was the highest paid session player in the USA during Motown's heyday. . . and they put up with all his "games", which none of the studios and producers in LA did.

21 minutes ago, YouMa said:

Wish someone would find his bass. 

Alas the Funk Machine is almost definitely gone, to all intents and purposes. There's a huge thread on his various basses over on TB. The scratchplate pattern might get you close to an ID but since his son James Jr sadly died in 2016 there's nobody left who could authenticate it via the inscription supposedly carved on the back. 

JJ is probably my favourite player. What an incredible talent.