Why become a member? ×

NSD Fender Flatwounds (vs D’Addario chromes)

chickenjames

I’ve been using Chromes on my StingRay for a couple of years. Just tried some Fenders (flatwound, 45-100) for the first. ICR the exact model but they have green silk.

First impressions compared to Chromes

Feel like slightly lower tension

Less polished so feel slightly rougher

Sustain is much longer (but that might just be because the Chromes had been on for a while)

and then the sound....

these are RUDE. Much more top and high mid. Sound amazing on the StingRay - very happy with them.

By comparison, the Chromes sound flat and dull.

What would you put on my Fender P next time it needs strings?

31 minutes ago, chickenjames said:

I’ve been using Chromes on my StingRay for a couple of years. Just tried some Fenders (flatwound, 45-100) for the first. ICR the exact model but they have green silk.

First impressions compared to Chromes

Feel like slightly lower tension

Less polished so feel slightly rougher

Sustain is much longer (but that might just be because the Chromes had been on for a while)

and then the sound....

these are RUDE. Much more top and high mid. Sound amazing on the StingRay - very happy with them.

By comparison, the Chromes sound flat and dull.

What would you put on my Fender P next time it needs strings?

Depends how old the fender strings you have are...d’addario were/are Making Fender’s strings and have done since about 2010.

My JMJ mustang came with Fender 9050 flats (.045 - .100 long scale) with green silks as standard. Normally I'd change the stock strings to my usual favorites as soon as I get any new bass, but the the 9050s were just perfect in terms of tone, tension & feel so I kept them on & I've bought a set for my MIJ mustang plus another spare set.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
corrected string gauge values

Interested. I have never done much with chromes. I have them on my iby fretless but don't play that much (and don't really like them) but I played an old jazz bass the other day with them on and they were great. My local shop don't have flat wounds so interested in seeing what is around. Probably have to be 5s though as I don't really play any fours

I am a flats guy. I love Chrome's, and I also like fender flats, I always use 45-100, however having used several sets of both on p basses, I've always found the tension for both to be similar, feel similar with Chrome's being slightly smoother. Chrome's sound brighter and warmer when both are new.

All strings will dull in time, so not sure judging both at different stages of use is very scientific?

• 3 years later...
On 16/02/2019 at 19:47, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

My JMJ mustang came with Fender 9050 flats (.045 - .100 long scale) with green silks as standard....

I've just put a new set of medium scale 45-100 D'Addario Chromes on my JMJ mustang, and they do feel and sound remarkably similar to the Fenders but with a bit of new string zing. The fit better though and the blue silks coordinate nicely with the colour of the bass. I believe these are the strings Mr Meldal-Johnsen uses on his own mustangs.

I got some Fender flats on JMJ too and really liked them so much so I nabbed another set for my P bass. I tend to switch things every 6 months or so going from rounds to flats. Jazz flats are my go to but the Fenders are good for the money. I dig them!

Mr. JMJ uses LaBella's but I couldn't see Fender pony up the extra cash for them on his model.