Why become a member? ×

Bireli Lagrene's Fretless Basses?

Linus27

Does anyone know anything about Bireli Lagrene's Fender fretless Jazz basses? One of them is sunburst but has blocks and binding and the other has dots. Neither basses have lines and it doesn't look like they are fretted basses that have been de-fretted. Custom necks perhaps or mega rare. I love the one with blocks and binding in the video.

csm_RememberJaco_dc09f18fcb.jpg

Edited by Linus27

I'd say the same as the OP. No old fretlines, so they weren't defretted. There's no epoxy coating either. The shine is just down to years of playing which ended up putting a vague shine on the board. Stage lights will make it look shinier than it is

I posted this video  a long time ago, and nobody even cared; Is this the Brexit effect ?

Biréli Lagrène played lots of concerts in Germany and Italy in the 80's with a guy named Jaco Pastorius and they used to exchanged their instruments...

Yes he is a great fretless bass player and he played fretless bass on some records too, like the first French Kiss album.

The video quality is too poor to tell. In the still photo, I'm not sure if there are artefacts because it's not great quality, but it looks like there are faint lines from a defret where the filler material was the same colour as the fretboard. Most noticeable above the 12th fret between the E and A strings.

Last year, for the 30th year death anniversary of Jaco Pastorius, Biréli Lagrène played a concert in Paris with the Multiquarium Big Band as an hommage. He played the major tunes of Jaco on the fretless bass as a he is also a (fretless) bass virtuoso and is well known for that over here in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy where he toured with Jaco in 1986.

His relic Jazz Bass is a 1971~72 defretted à la Jaco, but it has dark fills, and has been his main bass for years. The other one is "newer" one.

Check the announcement of last year concert https://m.facebook.com/events/162103677813785?refid=52&__tn__=*s-R

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Although poor quality,  i still see no fretlines, and with the best will in the world, it's hard to make old fretlines disappear , after been ripped out

lagrene.jpg

Never seen this one before, but the one I was mentioning is the the sunburst one. This one looks to have an ebony fingrboard and looks like a luthier bass. Biréli Lagrène will sound exactly the same even with the worst bass on earth. Seen him a lot and he's always impressive being it on guitar or (fretless) bass.

• Like 1