• Red
    • Something else (please specify!)
    • White - plain / vintage / olympic / cream
    • White - gloss ('LA teeth')
    • Wine (burgundy)
    • Wood - natural
    • Yellow

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

In order to give a thought through response to your question, we need to understand what songs you're playing? 😄 

All originals, so hopefully not too boring, although others may beg to differ...

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And whether your basses were all Fenders! 

Only one Fender, and a couple of fairly eclectic/one off basses along the way. I like unusual instruments, I just don't like to shout about it I guess!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Btw - whoever says that white or black are not paint finish colours is obviously talking bollox. 

It was me. I said it. I assumed my clearly light hearted comments would be understood as such. I apologise for touching a raw nerve.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It was me. I said it. I assumed my clearly light hearted comments would be understood as such. I apologise for touching a raw nerve.

No nerve, touched. My responses are all similarly tongue in cheek. Banter needs a response otherwise it goes to waste 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JellyKnees said:

All originals, so hopefully not too boring, although others may beg to differ...

Only one Fender, and a couple of fairly eclectic/one off basses along the way. I like unusual instruments, I just don't like to shout about it I guess!

So upon carefully reviewing the facts, there is no question you clearly fall into the classic camp. You can rest easy tonight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Btw - whoever says that white or black are not paint finish colours is obviously talking bollox.

Are you trying to suggest this isn't a naturally occurring tonal variation?

b2a01.thumb.jpg.9c9cfd7c85c4d15bba4a90b11b655f82.jpg

I could be pedantic and point out that black & white are not in fact colours, they are the absence of colour - but y'know - that's just not my style at all. :P

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So should you be more properly known as Frick 4000?

Call me "Fricky" if you like. 👍

I'm sure I could spare you the history lesson - but I'm not going to 😁 ... The year was nineteen hundred and whatever, Rickenbacker had produced the first electric guitar, and were busy designing and refining their instruments... then Leo F. designed the first electric bass guitar, and began selling it through Mr Hall's company... Leo's excellent bolt-on neck design was cheap and easy to manufacture, and players liked it because they could swap necks at home, or change it if it got damaged. Mr Hall decided that his electric bass would stick with their tried and tested neck through body construction design. It was an excellent decision. Rickenbacker's neck-through was more expensive, but offered improved sound and sustain over a bolt-on design. And rather than directly competing with the Fender, the two philosophies could sell alongside each other, and offer the customer more choice.

So, 70 years later - what's changed? There are bolt-ons (Fender), and neck-throughs (Ric), and not much else.

Popular colours are wood (natural or burst), black, or white-ish.

HTH. 😁

• Like 2