• Purple
    • Red
    • Something else (please specify!)
    • White - plain / vintage / olympic / cream
    • White - gloss ('LA teeth')
    • Wine (burgundy)
    • Wood - natural
    • Yellow

My favourite bass is brown - actual brown brown. Far from my favourite colour though, would be low on any list if I was buying new.

CSLresize1.thumb.jpg.6961cee3746bf61b0e50f4d12fa1c33c.jpg

Although I really like how this looks & wouldn't want to refinish it. Probably helps that you can (just) see the grain through it, but that's not really a factor.

Natural wood's different though, but it's hard to quantify why.

scorpfull.thumb.jpg.4f7a5cc2e04120c4c0da3c8dfb74f2d1.jpg

It just is... :x

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

My favourite bass is brown - actual brown brown. Far from my favourite colour though, would be low on any list if I was buying new.

CSLresize1.thumb.jpg.6961cee3746bf61b0e50f4d12fa1c33c.jpg

Although I really like how this looks & wouldn't want to refinish it. Probably helps that you can (just) see the grain through it, but that's not really a factor.

Natural wood's different though, but it's hard to quantify why.

scorpfull.thumb.jpg.4f7a5cc2e04120c4c0da3c8dfb74f2d1.jpg

It just is... :x

Actually not really too hard to quantity why: you kinda said it yourself referring to your brown brown bass - it's about seeing the natural grain. 

Maybe 'stripey' should be a category after all- lol! 

Is the bottom one an Alembic? The neck through immediately got my attention, as they always do! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is the bottom one an Alembic? The neck through immediately got my attention, as they always do!

There's certainly an Alembic influence in the body shape & build, but that one's an obscure Japanese thing called a Kasuga Scorpion.

scorpcat.thumb.jpg.abcdbe7fd8e623afa208ab6897787e0c.jpg

• Thanks 1

While it is astonishing that red isn't the runaway winner, with gold a close second, what is truly astounding is that green should have as many votes as red.

Green. I mean, come on.

But even the green debacle fades into insignificance when one considers that in a poll dedicated to favourite bass colours, white, black and 'natural' garner together over 70% of the popular vote. None of these can even be considered colours.

And we all thought the ..... .... was the single most muddle headed, irrational and inexplicable consensus ever reached. This even makes the ... ... result appear reasonable by comparison

Edited by stewblack
Removed potentially inflammatory content
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

And we all thought the Brexit vote was the single most muddle headed, irrational and inexplicable consensus ever reached. 

Just a number 

29 March

Just a date...

😉

Right, back to bass colours after that short diversion. Clearly you need to get used to being on the losing team more often, Stew. It happens. 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Just a number 

29 March

Just a date...

😉

Right, back to bass colours after that short diversion. Clearly you need to get used to being on the losing team more often, Stew. It happens. 😁

image.png.e010514a358522d7652e0fcf60c67442.png

Careful...

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

What could be more beautiful than this?  - 

JazzA3.thumb.jpg.eb6cc8364aa9e14180813cf7044d5cd7.jpg

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I do wish Ibby or Yammy would consider doing a neck through in their modern 5 string SR or BB ranges respectively (they used to 'back in the day'). They would have me parting with cash in an instant! 

Ibby6.jpg

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

While it is astonishing that red isn't the runaway winner, with gold a close second, what is truly astounding is that green should have as many votes as red.

Green. I mean, come on.

But even the green debacle fades into insignificance when one considers that in a poll dedicated to favourite bass colours, white, black and 'natural' garner together over 70% of the popular vote. None of these can even be considered colours.

Compare our "hive mind" to Fender's top selling colours:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/best-selling-finishes/?rl=en_US

Just goes to show that "we" are such a conservative world (with a small "c").

I'll have a deluxe Jazz bass in the natural finish, with the black scratchplate, please Mr Fender. Unless you do it in beige, maybe...?

:: rollseyes :: 

No freakin' way, you stuffed suits! - I'll take a purple (or paisley) '70s P bass with Bootsy style star fret markers fitted instead of dots. Then I'll fit a big Parliament/Funkadelic sticker on the front.... the one with the chick wearing a big afro and her knees yay far apart. ✌️

And that funky brown '70s Jazz from up this thread... I'd just have to add a tiger stripe scratchplate, and maybe some fur trim... 👊 

I could ride to gigs on a Raleigh Chopper MK1. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well we might be conservative in our colour choices (some may prefer to refer to this as having 'taste') 😂 but at least we have collectively discovered there is a world beyond Fender! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Btw - whoever says that white or black are not paint finish colours is obviously talking bollox. I'm not taking that sort of nonsense on this lucid and deeply erudite thread. 

May be true for light beams in the case of black, but I'm not aware of any basses with a photon finish. Yet.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

In my 38 years of playing, I've never owned either a bass or a guitar that wasn't in one of the 4 most popular colours... not sure whether this means that I'm really boring or I have classic tastes...

Classic tastes! ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JellyKnees said:

In my 38 years of playing, I've never owned either a bass or a guitar that wasn't in one of the 4 most popular colours... not sure whether this means that I'm really boring or I have classic tastes...

In order to give a thought through response to your question, we need to understand what songs you're playing? 😄