Why become a member? ×

Sold. Fender Jazz Bass 1974, Burst, rosewood, blocks
£2200

karlfer

Ooops, sorry, sold a week ago.

I need to move house later in the year. It will be the end of gigging for me as there's no pub scene there. I don't gig this wonderful bass in the dubious gaffs I play, so time to sell it.

BAD BITS.

I would also consider a part ex BUT I need to realise at least £1000 cash for the expensive move to come.

Original pups are not on, BUT I have them & they are included. I think the bridge pickup has been re-wired at some stage. No idea what the current pups are, but they work nicely.

Original included pups, neck no. 180?74, 6.90 ohms, bridge no 181574, 7.60 ohms.

Don't think scratchplate is original. (Edit).

Like many early 70's Fenders, nothing on the heel of neck, but some stamps can be seen & name looks like it ends "es"

The 2 pot dates (both vols) that I can see are 137-73 then it get's tricky. HAPPY to take the control plate off for inspection but I've tried about 20 photos of the numbers & can't get them right.

Don't think the case is original, but it's certainly battered.

GOOD BITS.

It's a lovely bass which seems to be mainly original, lots of chips, bit of forearm wear.

Not heavy at fractionally over 9lbs

I WON'T COURIER I'm afraid, I can't get full insurance at this sort of cost. I will happily drive within 100 miles of Wigan.

Happy for any experts to point out any unintended misinformation, it is 45 years old after all.

I am in no rush,

thanks for looking,

Karl.

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

D.JPG

E.JPG

F.JPG

G.JPG

H.JPG

I.JPG

J.JPG

K.JPG

L.JPG

M.JPG

N.JPG

O.JPG

P.JPG

Q.JPG

R.JPG

S.JPG

T.JPG

U.JPG

V.JPG

W.JPG

X.JPG

Y.JPG

Z.JPG

Z1.JPG

Z2.JPG

Z3.JPG

Z4.JPG

Z5.JPG

Z6.JPG

Z7.JPG

Z8.JPG

Z9.JPG

Z10.JPG

Z11.JPG

Z12.JPG

Z13.JPG

Z14.JPG

Z15.JPG

Z16.JPG

Z17.JPG

Z18.JPG

Z19.JPG

Z20.JPG

Z21.JPG

Z22.JPG

Z23.JPG

Edited by karlfer
  • Like 5

Beautiful bass, Karl! 

Just FYI, the thumb rest should be above the strings on a 74, and if the screw holes on the scratchplate line up with the body it's probably original. To my knowledge they didn't use any template at this time  and just drilled the holes through the scratchplate and body...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

Beautiful bass, Karl! 

Just FYI, the thumb rest should be above the strings on a 74, and if the screw holes on the scratchplate line up with the body it's probably original. To my knowledge they didn't use any template at this time  and just drilled the holes through the scratchplate and body...

Thanks Alex, that sounds about right for mid 70's Fender :lol:.

Having said that, when I put it back together again, the only thing that had gone out was pick up heights!

20 hours ago, Bassman666 said:

Man that's a lovely looking jazz! GLWTS 

Thank 'ee young sir!

10 hours ago, Creeper said:

Lovely bass at a cracking price, gotta love those 70s blocks 

Another thank 'ee young sir

8 minutes ago, CH161 said:

Great set of pictures Karl...

All looks very good to me - fine looking bass.

Thanks Cliff, always good to have a known expert chip in, for good or for bad, especially when Fender were changing from 4 bolt to 3/bullet around this time.

I wish my photographic skills were up to being able to focus on the numbers. Actually, I wish my eyes were up to focusing on the numbers :lol:.

I got a bit of a flaying for my price on Faecesbook.

I pointed out this is what a similar one (a year younger)  might cost from one of the foremost dealers (and that one sold).

http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=1389&fbclid=IwAR3KRdG_r8eVcq_gXuJaQWgH5VHvF6AYCQoNk5EG9N2tU_EuhoYftekdLUo

Thanks again fellas,

cheers,

Karl.

1 minute ago, karlfer said:

.I got a bit of a flaying for my price on Faecesbook.

I pointed out this is what a similar one (a year younger)  might cost from one of the foremost dealers (and that one sold).

http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=1389&fbclid=IwAR3KRdG_r8eVcq_gXuJaQWgH5VHvF6AYCQoNk5EG9N2tU_EuhoYftekdLUo

Thanks again fellas,

cheers,

Karl.

It’s a good price, I paid £3.5k for my 72 a Jazz bass from The aforementioned dealer...

• Like 1

On 20/02/2019 at 17:02, itsmedunc said:

That neck looks lovely and shallow in the pics. What's it like in real life? Unfortunately Karl, I'm only going to be window shopping for a while...

Yeah it's fairly shallow Dunc, normal dimensions,  not as shallow as a Geddy.

On 20/02/2019 at 19:37, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Any more pics? 😉

Nice bass, all looks good to me, and for what it’s wirth, I think the price is good, shouldn’t hang around.

Classic Fenderness.

Thanks Rick, good to know especially from someone with your knowledge.

Now, what other pic's would you like:lol:?

All PM'S replied folks, as I've said this is a long term sale so no need for anybody to act in haste, It would be REALLY great if potential buyers got the chance to try it for a couple of hours, with no obligation.

12 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Thanks for the reply Karl. I just wish that my finances at the moment were far far better! 

Always a pleasure with you Dunc :)

On 22/02/2019 at 00:07, k-sad said:

WOAOH !!!!

Trade for a "similar looking" Japanese reissue without the block plus cash? 

:)

Think you're supposed to make offers by PM :) 

On 21/02/2019 at 20:06, pete.young said:

Carlsberg don't do bass guitar adverts. But if they did ...

Anyone wondering how it should be done, this is the way.

Very kind Pete, I wish I  could take better photos.

If you wish to ask this much money off people, my opinion is you need to make the effort.

If somebody wants £2k+ for a vintage bass & puts up 3 photos, lazy & not respecting buyers imo

• Like 1