Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz V

Bilbo

Bassist friend of mine was a Warwick and Ibby fan boy, recently got a USA fender 5 string. He plays nothing else now, complete convert. He has an endorsement with a manufacturer but hasn’t told them he doesn’t play their bass now. 

That probably doesn’t help your decision making and it’s quite a dull story, but he loves his jazz 5

55 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Bassist friend of mine was a Warwick and IBBY fan boy, recently got a USA fender 5 string. He plays nothing else now, complete convert. He has an endorsement with a manufacturer but hasn’t told them he doesn’t play their bass now. 

I’ve got a K5. I really like it but the neck is so slim that I find it difficult to play smoothly. The string spacing is so tight! 

Back in 2003 I had Gas for a Fender Jazz 5. I tried several and couldn't find one I liked. Then out of the blue on a gig in Germany, a Fender USA Marcus Miller 5, was the hired in Bass for me. That was it, I found a Jazz I really liked. Soon as I was back in the UK, I ordered a new one. It was more than I wanted to pay, but played like a dream. I still have it and  use it now, so a right result. 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I played a fender 5, it seemed ok but I am the opposite - the strings are so far apart I can't play it smoothly, I miss the strings.

If the Squire Jazz V that I have is anything similar, I know what you mean but to my sausage fingers, the K5 is harder. I think I could get used to the Squire neck ( I have never used it live) but I just can’t get used to the K5 at all. 

Just to add, I love the sound of the K5. The Squire is incredible too. I’ve just never needed a V when playing live so far. 

Edited by ubit

I wouldnt go anywhere near a Fender Jazz 5 string, especially the 5 in a row tuner basses. Lakland do it so much better and cheaper. I had a Fender American Jazz 5 and the B string was just a floppy mess. Of course this is not case with all Fender 5 string jazz basses depending on the year, just my experience. A Lakland Joe Osbourne is way better instrument. Imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Is the K5 not normal spacing for an ibanez. If so then I am sure I would not have a problem. 

I’ll be honest and say I don’t know as I’ve never played another Ibanez bass. They are famous for their fast necks right enough, so I’m guessing they are all tight string spacing. Possibly I could get used to it, but I’m just not that bothered about a five, so I don’t persevere. It’s a nice bass and I love the finish. I see Fieldy has now got a white one as his bass. Even although I’ve got the black one and am not struck on it, I still get gas for a white one! 

I’ve not played the very latest model, apart from briefly in a store, but I don’t rate them. The B is poor compared to most other 5’s, even on the newest one and for me the offset body just doesn’t feel right scaled up. I had a Montego Black deluxe V, bought blind, which looked lovely and that’s about it!  Agreed that the late 90s five tuners in a row are the poorest of the lot. The only convincing Fender V I’ve tried is the Roscoe Beck.