Why become a member? ×

Now recycled - Squier fretless P bass neck

Twanger

Gone.

The guy I gave it to has promised to recycle it when he's through with it.

I've just upgraded to a MIM J neck on my Squier P bass, so if anyone can use the old Squier neck, they are welcome to it. It's not the greatest, but has served me adequately for a year. It's a drop in for standard Fender 62mm neck pockets and would suit anyone who wanted to try out fretless before taking the plunge. Collection only North Croydon or Central London - I don't have a box to ship it in.

Edited by Twanger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrTea said:

Must admit the sceptic in me saw an ad for a squire fretless neck on Facebook this week and wondered the same. But then I thought that’s not really the basschat way ...

aye.

Well, that's it for me. No more trust in humanity. I'm a sucker - I kept the machine heads, by the way, so those are his. But yes, that really looks like the neck.

That's no coincidence. I was giving away the neck....

Edited by Twanger

Hey Andy, it’s Adam, the guy who picked up the spare fretless neck form you.

You may remember you told me that the reason you’re not putting it up for sale is that you think it’s not even and strings D and G don’t sound right. Perhaps it’s how you set up your bass but I found it tuned and sounded perfectly fine, no problems with it. During our chat it was clear you use low tension flats and set up very low, while I tried it with rounds set up high enough not to choke notes.

Yes, you are correct - these are my brand new machine heads I put on the neck.

I played it for two days and decided that bass sounds better with a fretted neck. And I am now selling my machine heads with the neck I picked up from you.

Now if any of you gentlemen wanted this neck so badly, the ad was up here and not sure what interest Andy had but you were free to pick it up as I did.

Andy - I am not sure what agreement you think we went into but you and the rest of the shocked lads can perhaps agree I am able to do with it what I want, without your judgement.

I think I count as one of the ‘shocked lads’ ...

Just for transparency I did get in touch with Andy to see if he could post the neck. I totally understood he didn’t want to be thought it worth asking. I’m totally happy he found someone local to give it too.

But ...

I think there are 2 ways you can look at this:

- the neck was passed on to you and your free to do with it as you please. 

- the neck has been passed on for free so if it’s not for you, you pay it forward and pass it onto another member of the community (either online or locally to you). 

I’ve had a few freebies off the forums and for me the latter is the spirit of the community here. It’s my choice (and maybe that’s the key) but any free items I’ve had off here if I decided I had no longer any use for I’ve passed on to free to local young musicians or our community music project. If I knew they wouldn’t get used there I’d stick them back on here.

At the end of the day it’s your call - but I’m sure it’s easy to see why it might get people querying it?

6 minutes ago, MrTea said:

but I’m sure it’s easy to see why it might get people querying it?

Someone will perhaps get themselves a neck with machine heads for the price of the machine heads, or quite possibly less.

Sorry to disappoint the community - but I find the moral outrage that seems to be present in this thread disproportionate.

Are they good machine heads? The Facebook ad I saw mainly talked about the neck so I wasn’t sure 🙂 

As I said above - it’s your call what you do with it. I’m just suggesting from my viewpoint that it’s not in the spirit in which it was passed on to you. Best of luck with the sale. 

• MB1 locked this topic