Why become a member? ×

Dunlop flatwounds?

Creeper

• 1 year later...

Another thing about these, the silks look to have been coated in either a plastic or silicone, I’ve taken a set off one bass and put them on another a couple of times and they still look perfect, no fraying at all. 😀

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, adamlunt said:

Anyone know how these compare to Chromes or Ernie Balls? Just in terms of tone and tension?

I’ve had a set of EB Group 3 flats on for just gone 7 years now and I think they’re just about on their way out.

Silly question but how do you tell flats are on the way out I thought they lasted for ever just curious as I am trying flat wounds at present 

Sorry for the thread derail 

2 hours ago, adamlunt said:

Anyone know how these compare to Chromes or Ernie Balls? Just in terms of tone and tension?

I’ve had a set of EB Group 3 flats on for just gone 7 years now and I think they’re just about on their way out.

Not as high tension as chromes, and not as bright, I also found them to be not as grabby in the fingers, these are excellent strings.

18 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Silly question but how do you tell flats are on the way out I thought they lasted for ever just curious as I am trying flat wounds at present 

I had a set of Picato flats - rumoured to be the factory that makes Status. After a few months they started to  lift ever so slightly so you could feel the edge of the winding.

22 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

For me, it's when the intonation gets too indistinct (with the exception of the ancient La Bellas on my P bass, of course).

• 7 months later...

Bought these for the first time (45-105) last month and been playing them all week. I think I've found my favourite flats! Perfect string tension, plenty of thump and the perfect amount of zing when you push the tone or play with a pick. Mega smooth and easy to play

I predominantly played Chromes before this, for around three years, and although they sound great for rock (especially with a pick), I got tired of the high tension when I played fingerstyle, they became too much of a workout, and were grabby until broken in. TI Jazz flats I loved in terms of tone, but they were just too loose, LaBella DTB didn't have enough sustain and Cobalt's felt a bit too close to rounds.

Happy to have found these Dunlops. Chromes now feel incredibly sluggish in comparison. 

Edited by Light Grenade

• 2 years later...

Interesting old thread. I've tried two sets of Steve Harris signature flats, and they are like suspension bridge cables. They sound nice when new, bright to my likings but at a steep price. I've tried Fender flats which have been great. Now purchased rotos flats not as thick a gauge like SH signature, so will give them a go. But Dunlop flats sound worth a try too.

On 21/06/2020 at 20:31, Thunderbird said:

Silly question but how do you tell flats are on the way out I thought they lasted for ever. . . .

My TI's have been on for about 6 years and I don't plan on changing them. . . . ever.

There is an interview with some LA session players and apparently Bob Glaub has a Precision with 42 year old La Bella flats.

Found it. . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJeXvCqgeo

• Like 1

I recently tried a set of Dunlop flats and they are indeed rather splendid. They've got some of the raspy midrange of La Bellas combined with some of the clarity and articulation of Thomastiks, my usual flatwounds of choice.  

Overall I would describe the Dunlop flats as having a thick chewy sound that most players would probably find very satisfying. I really like these strings.