Why become a member? ×

Band Banners - is there such a thing as? YES! 😁

redbandit599

Hi

Quite fancy some band bannerage, but rarely play venues with enough space to hang a back drop properly. 

I just had a thought, for pub type gigs, is there anything like a banner you could hang from the bottom of your PA cabs? Vertical hanging things to sort of frame the band and get the name shown without taking up valuable space for drunken punters?

Cheers 

Edited by redbandit599

I had a similar thought.  I think most printers that do vinyl banners will do something small enough, so you just need to work out how to attach them.  I thought perhaps self adhesive Velcro, or maybe a bungee cord stretched around the base of the cab.

i was thinking of putting a QR code for our band Facebook page in the corner - easy for punters to snap with their phones if they’re interested in you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can get vinyl banners made up with your own designs / artwork at vista print. You just do it all online. It's dead easy.

I always found them quite reasonable. 

https://www.vistaprint.com/signs-posters/vinyl-banners?xnid=TopNav_Vinyl+Banners_Banners_Signs+and+Posters&xnav=TopNav

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

A while ago, someone posted a link to a site that made those "roller banners", that get used for businesses & other promotional stuff. Kind of like half a projector screen wide, but full height. Great for pub gigs & others where there's not much room on stage, and they roll down into small unit for easy transportation.

A good idea I thought.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that hanging pieces of vinyl from speakers would do the job, what with you having to add enough weight to avoid them flapping every time someone walks past.

@Happy Jack's bands The Junkyard Dogs and Damo And The Dynamites have slightly different approaches to banners. The one for the Dynamites, a cheapo roller banner, seems far more effective then the one used by the Dogs. Probably due to size and colour. The Dynamites roller banner has a far smaller footprint than the Dogs' one, when the latter uses a tripod rather than being precariously gaffa-taped to the wall or a drop-down screen.

1735492606_JD@OldHallTavern.thumb.JPG.c1e44a57ad98eea01571e954d6d9991b.JPG1448654506_Damo@BarleyMow.thumb.JPG.99edd652ac46eb79f03fdc4aeb73eed7.JPG

• Thanks 1

The Dogs banner was always a kludge job right from the start. Rick the Slide found an old tripod in his local Oxfam shop and ordered a heavy vinyl banner to match the dimensions - at every gig he needs at least five minutes just to erect the damned thing, and at tight gigs on small stages he has to gaffa the banner to whatever is available. Just carrying the thing is a bloody nuisance, since it comprises a rolled-up banner inside a cardboard tube and a wonky tripod that catches on everything.

The Damo banner is light and compact, dead easy to use, and looks much better.

The roller banners are convenient,  but they only really look any good in bigger areas where you can have them clearly in view ( like in the tent and other pic here.) Even in bigger pubs we rarely have that much space.

Still quite fancy the under the PA idea. I reckon if we could put a baton top and bottom that might keep them hanging straight and then just roll them up.

Might have a play..😁

Just now, redbandit599 said:

Hi there! We have a band mate in common. I play in Hoaxx, Darren's 'bit on the side!' Small bass world 😁

Small world indeed! 😃👍🏻 Let me know if you want info on the banners and I’ll pass it to Darren tonight. 😃

• Thanks 1

We use a 2m x 2m roller banner behind the drummer.  It’s a bit unwieldy to carry, takes 2 people to set up (though it is quick to do), looks huge when you’ve just set it up but a bit underwhelming when the drummer and his kit are in front of it.  If I were to do it again I’d go for the two narrower ones that several people in this thread have done. 

My gut feel is that a reasonable weight vinyl would probably hang okay and not move too much, but then my gut feel has been proven wrong many times in the past😁

• Like 1

I’m looking at getting some acoustically transparent scrims printed with our band logo to magnetically attach to our PA cab fronts (which rather helpfully have steel grilles).  Most places we play there’s nowhere to attach a backdrop/banner and setting up a frame to hold such things is one more bit of kit we haven’t got the time/inclination to put up/carry to gigs when we already have 4x cars full of stuff already.

Pop-up banners are OK I suppose but they remind me of the function/wedding band I used to play with so I’d rather avoid the association this time 😉

• Thanks 1

I've found a handy little built in bolt hole in the bottom of my RCF pa cabs. I reckon if I can get a couple of T shaped flat metal bars cut, stick them in a fold sewn into a banner, then pop the leg of the T out through a hole  I can just bolt my hanging banners under the cabs..

Think this idea might have legs!